glass in door problem

I have removed some docorative glass from a full length door panel and want to replace it with a diffused laminate glass. The new glass is 6.5 mm slighlty thicker than what came out .....not giving me as much room for the beading . old beading was 10mm and glass was about 5mm .and it finished flush with the door. Do I use a quad beading after bedding the laminate glass on a silicone or perhaps caulking........And could I plane the protruding quadrant flush after fixing ???

or should I use a rebater ( not got one and never used one ) to make the existing rebate deeper???

Well done if you understood this ....................Interested in the best way forward.

thanks

Barry

Reply to
Barry

That's what I'd do. Either that or replace the bead with smaller section. You could also round the outside edge and make the protruberance a feature.

Most people use silicon but ordinary waterproof mastic will allow the glass and beads to be removed at a later date. Also any silicon smeared on the glass could be tricky to remove once it dries, as silicon reacts with glass -even silicon wax does.

How would you plane the corners?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Can't you get some 8mm beading in place of the 10mm stuff. That would then be about right. It will look odd if you plane the protruding edge of the existing stuff - it would be better (albeit rather difficult!) to plane the flat face before fitting it.

Reply to
Set Square

Try looking around for some beading called hockey-stick, you may find the exact size you need and it will also look a bit more of a feature. Happy Hunting...

Reply to
shotguntony

-- micky104

Reply to