GHD hair straighteners - repair - help please

Hi all,

does anyone know how to repair these. My daughters are broken. I managed to take them apart - it's not too difficult - and found the wires that connect to the ceramic plates have come loose. Possibly a stress fracture but since there shouldn't be any movement there then I'm probably wrong.

However, I don't knw how to re-attach these wires. I believe these heating tongs get to 180+ Celcius and I've been told solder melts at about 165 Celcius. Which would rule that out.

The go went into some kind of plastic-looking orange material, looks a bit like the stuff disc capacitors are made of.

Any ideas how to connect them again please?

Cheers PJ

Reply to
pjlusenet

Forgot to mention I found the following details for a repair centre for these but you have to send them the GHDs and then they'll tell you how much it will cost. My suspiscion is it may be £40+ to repair and since new ones cost about £90 swmbo says buy new ones!

09065500766 £1pm 1.50max A recorded msg telling you to send the item with a covering note to

Jemella Ltd PO Box 397 Silsden Keighley BD20 0WX

Reply to
pjlusenet

=A360 an hour just to talk to their machine...

You need HMP solder. And an iron set for hmp solder. Or you could crimp or perhaps even bolt.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I wouldn't mess around with them

safety and build quality is crap. However they do perform very well and women like them. My daughter had a "Flames and Sparks" incident with a set which she promptly dropped and they burnt the carpet.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

Thanks for the info/suggestions.

I had heard of the 'bursting into flames' problem but I hope the ones we have date from after they fixed it (assuming they did) I'll look into the HMP solder option if only because if I can fix them it might stop her from thinking I'm a twit. (not v. likely)

Reply to
pjlusenet

Try:

degrees ought to do it.

Reply to
John Rumm

For info. Sent GHDs to Jemella. After 1/2 weeks the sent me a letter saying they'd 'repair' them for £44. I paid and they sent a brand new set (which was just as well as the ones I sent were severly bust!)

Not cheap but, as I gave up trying to re-attach the ceramic heater pads, easily the best!

Reply to
pjlusenet

You can get copies off ebay. Apparently made in the same factory, and according to my bird they're just as good. No expense spared :).

Reply to
Doki