Getting rid of a piano.

The more the merrier, but I draw the line at Bill Frisell :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

Yebbut the producers don't know how to tell the difference between those who do know their subject and those who don't.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

good example. It's very very good. Where they all struggle is in recreating the interactions between vibrating strings. You can sample every note at every velocity and it will sound just like the real thing.. but hit two or more keys at the same time and something far more complex is happening. Can't beat the real thing..

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Signal

BDF2 is amazing for drum emulation. All multi-sampled, multi-miked using top flight equipment in top flight studios, you adjust the mic feeds individually, amongst numerous other parameters. It can be very convincing indeed, but again, does not come close to reproducing real world interactions between acoustic drums.

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Signal

They do sound like electric violins.

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Signal

My thanks to everyone who commented regarding moving (and tuning) a piano. Does not sound quite as bad as I had imagined, assuming there are no stairs involved.

"Dad, d'you know the piano is on my foot?" ...

Reply to
Graeme

"You would not think, to look at him, that he was famous long ago.. for playing the electric violin on Desolation, Row.."

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Actually they can do, but its a bit of a waste of time to make them that way, since the acoustic stuff already exists, works well, and does the same job.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not really, I've been on quite modest gigs where a grand has been used

- the last one being with Kit and the Widow in a marquee in someone's back garden.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

But they are violins. Played the same way, different sounds.

I do, CBSO are pretty good. Best seats in the house when my daughter worked there.

I just don't think a cheap upright is as good as a cheap digital. It certainly isn't as good as a mid range digital even if you tune it frequently.

I think geoff is confusing a digital piano with a stylophone.

I wonder what he would make of one of these?

dennis

So, no?

Reply to
dennis

Altogether now ...

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Stupid suggestion????? Especially since you are willing to help (pay) something to move it; can you donate it to a seniors' home? Or a school? You might even get a small 'donation' tax write-off?

Reply to
terry

I'm sure there are plenty of poor producers as well as good ones. But like Marys they're not all the same.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You need a group of Japanese 'artists'

Steve Firth

No they can't. Nothing coming out of a loudspeaker - or even pair - can match the interaction between soundboard, hammers/strings etc and the acoustics of the room.

Anyone who has ever worked in a recording studio would be delighted to be able to get shot of the real piano. They take up a lot of room and cost a deal to tune and maintain. But like all instruments they will never be replaced by a synthesizer or sampler - except where the type of music calls for that specific sound. Ie, the cheap to make sort.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Last time I saw them they worked unaccompanied. So the pitch of the piano wouldn't be critical. On other gigs it might well be.

But I couldn't imagine them or Hinge and Bracket (sadly missed) working to an electric piano. Or Elton John. A proper piano is part of the experience.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Increase the price? Seriously...

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

Oh yes

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'm not sure that we should say 'never'. I just hope it's not in my lifetime.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher