Getting rid of a piano.

I have a millstone . Its an old piano. Iron frame 1920's upright. Good working order and tuned every six months. The problem is I don't want it. I cant play and never use it. Its in the way. The trouble is no one else seems to want it either. I have tried giving it away via the adds in the paper. I have tried asking a house clearance to come and move it and even said I would pay costs. No one will even come and take it to the tip for me.
How do you get rid of a piano like this?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
endymion wrote:

Have you tried freecycle? Around here the local authority will collect or recommend others. Either way it costs.
http://www.freecycle.org /
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

My experience with freecycle have been very mixed. And I can't imagine why they use that awful Yahoo application.
About 30 years ago we were given a good old iron framed piano, which we still have and which still sounds great. My daughter got to Grade 8 on it and bangs away every time she comes back to visit. About 15 years ago we moved house and thought the old piano would fall apart in the move, so we bought a second piano at a good price from a teacher, and put it in the new house. With a bit of woodwork from me, the old piano did survive the move, and daughter later took the second piano to her house.
When she comes here and we hear her play her old black piano, it makes it all worthwhile. This talk of smashing a decent piano is sacrilege. It could change someone's life. It's your duty to try to find them.
--
Bill

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Amen to that. Acoustic sound isn't valued too highly these days
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 15:17:32 +0100, stuart noble

Generally because most half-decent digital pianos will knock spots of A.N.Other old upright. No need for tuning, headphone capability, weighted and touch-senstive action that never needs balancing, portability - and in some cases a choice of piano/harpsichord/organ sounds.
I got 12 for my old upright back in the 70s - it was so knackered I had to have it tuned to Bb. The only value it had was in the soundboard wood.
Regards,
--
Stephen Howard - Woodwind repairs & period restorations
www.shwoodwind.co.uk
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Stephen Howard wrote:

But maybe kids need to hear acoustic sound. It's just musical typewriting otherwise
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

dennis has just shown that he's not a musician
--
geoff

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
geoff wrote:

Doesn't need to be with his 99 keyboard plugged into his surround sound system, ennit?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I'll put my daughters korg against an upright any day. And then she can switch it to an organ or connect it to my Yamaha sound module and choose one (or more) of a couple of thousands sounds.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

That's because you are a mong with no understanding of why it can never be as good as a decent piano where a piano is required

A piano is not an organ
--
geoff

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

That is because you are an old fart that thinks a piano has to be a piece of furniture before being a musical instrument.

No but an 88 key touch sensitive keyboard has more uses than gathering dust on some old junk piano.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

No, its because I'm a musician and you are not
neither, it appears do you have the powers of logic which mean you should be in charge of anything more dangerous than a soft crayon

Sorry, that didn't make sense in english
don't bother trying again
--
geoff

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You are an old fart as I have said. Just because it doesn't look like a piano is enough to make you claim it isn't a piano. Tell the musicians that play electric violins that they aren't violins. Its you that is wrong here not I.

If you think my logic is wrong you are going to have to explain it, you can't BTW as its you that's wrong.

So you can't understand plain English then?

I won't for you, it was plain enough the first time.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

They don't sound like violins either...

I'd suggest you get yourself away from your electronic devices and try listing to the real thing. You may not like it as much - your prerogative - but at least you should hear the difference.
--
*I must always remember that I'm unique, just like everyone else. *

Dave Plowman snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk London SW
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

They do sound like electric violins.
-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Signal wrote:

"You would not think, to look at him, that he was famous long ago.. for playing the electric violin on Desolation, Row.."

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
something like:

They sound bugger all like pianos, I know that much.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 21:57:36 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon

They don't burn as long either.
Regards,
--
Stephen Howard - Woodwind repairs & period restorations
http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

well played pizzicato, actually sometimes they do..
I've made electric guitars sound like clarinets in my time..you need a certain woddy sounding loudspeaker enclosure and a certain amount of even harmonic distrortion, and a bit of an artist in the thing to control the attack, which is a bit of a giveaway on a guitar, but the sustained note is very close to a reed instrument. The sound of the reed flapping together is duplicated by the asymmetric clipping in the amplifier...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

You can make a sax sound like Hendrix....all you need is an overdrive pedal, a transducer, a good amp and a pair of earplugs. Only works from around octave G up.
Regards,
--
Stephen Howard - Woodwind repairs & period restorations
http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.