Getting inside a man's shed.

(BBC report on old gits sharing space to work on projects in a community workshop)

dom

Why 'gits'?

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Probably because he is a young git. I'm not to sure about public money being spent here, but these guys will have paid into the system so ....

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Probably because that's how the BBC perceives and portrays older white men.

Reply to
orion.osiris

Where does it say that on the BBC site.

I thought that term to describe old men came from two possible sources.

where They shout "git of the grass ya bast'ds" should be get but the accent made it sound like git.

The other being that use the word git rather than the other swear words like f*ck.., bastard, c*nt, git is just an acceptable word that's rarely seen as swearing especially when used in front of kids.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I take it the accent also made "off" sound like "of"?

Reply to
Dave Baker

Teetering on the brink.

Reply to
dom

So it's a bit like a hackspace, but instead of where the hackspace is open to anyone, the shed thing is only for the old giffers,

Reply to
Gazz

This Mens' Shed thing has been going for a few years now. The BBC have only just discovered it?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Sheds for only 14 years? There are several hundred old gits here in sheds spread over 2 kilometres for the last 50 years.

Reply to
Matty F