Get a plumber next time....

In message , Brian Gaff writes

Err, sorry?

I thought best to snip the word logic there

Reply to
geoff

The GOOD old days.

Now we elect (or not, it's a moot point) governments who plan (and I use the term loosely) to concrete over ours.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

I suppose since TMH had done work for them in the past, and presumably stuck to exactly the same published price list as then, was not expecting difficulties.

Reply to
John Rumm

I went to school with a Nigerian lad. His father seemed to own half the country, and he was never short of cash - in fact he would normally have at least an order of magnitude more in his pocket than any of his peers. Tighter than a gnat's chuff he was as well! Perhaps its something in the national identity...

Reply to
John Rumm

Whatever, it's accurate.

Reply to
Steve Firth

They seem to be quite good with basic car fettling.It comes from running a stash of old cars in the family, back home in the village.

IME can't as a rule read or write English even after some years, BTW.

Derek G.

Reply to
Derek Geldard

My Pakistani neighbours don't own a car. The son carries out his business as a registered osteopath from the house.

Both he and his elderly parents speak excellent English. And given they have papers delivered I'd say it's safe to assume they can read too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OTOH we've had 3 GPs with wives that clouldn't read/write English and my sister used to run a volunteer English language course for Pakistani women.

The wife of our local convenience store owner speaks no English and has to walk 2-3 paces behind him.

Your neighbours would appear to be very rich.

I bought a car valet voucher from Groupon, when I went to claim my valet I found that the Co. was 100% Pakistani, and only one (the boss) out of 5 could speak English despite them being in their mid-20s. This would appear to beg a lot of questions.

At least as far as women are concerned usually if they can't speak the language they don't learn, the husband simply wouldn't have it.

Derek G

Reply to
Derek Geldard

It's just African (and Asian). I was warned by an old girl friend to be wary of African women as they're interested only in money - my GF was born and raised in a village in Cameroon and she was no exception to this rule! An Indian friend of hers said much the same about Asians.

Reply to
PeterC

I doubt any plumber would have got out of bed for a job that cheap.

Reply to
Mark

Not so in this case. The elderly parents always go out together, and will stop and chat to neighbours. Both of them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's what you'd think but then it's usually the one's you thought you had a good rapport with that f*ck you up down the line. I don't know why this happens but it does. Perhaps complacency on both sides plays a part. Who knows, but I've learnt to expect the worst but hope for the best :)

Reply to
Dean Heighington