Gateposts

Bugger.

If I use it...may find a use for that bloody broken bed base with all that angle iron on it yet, and make up a 'two way swinging' double sided catch, and put that on the latch post, and to hell with any slam bit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I agree with just use 8ft lengths of telegraph poles, sleeper, or expensive 6"x6". 3 ft hole using hand post borer and narrow spade then fill in with fine sand/gravel. I've hung several 12 and 15' gates like this with no problems.

If you are using post and rail you can brace the top of the gate post down to the bottom of the next post.

Using steel field gate with adjustable threaded eyes any movement can be compensated for later. With a bit of planning of the hinge positions it will self close as well !

Reply to
robert

In message , The Natural Philosopher writes

There are various versions in use on our bridleways.

They were supplied and fitted by contractors working for Highways so I don't know the source.

I have had a quick look through my farm bits catalogues. There is a thing called a centre keep which would solve your problem.

Basically a bit of strong angle iron, curved like a half moon with a detent cut to take your spring latch. The half moon shape allows the gate to close from either direction. The illustration in my catalogue is biased so you may find closure unreliable without a slam stop.

0800 056 0002 Farm and Country, or possibly Clarkes of Walsham 01359 259 259 not that far from you.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yep, I'll look for that..there was a stop like that in the place I bought it from, but it was 6" wide and my posts are only 4".

So I'll probably make one out of something, or pop over to Clarkes next time I am in that area.

It would be handy to open both ways, when sitting on a lawn tractor..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We may be at cross purposes depending on where the notch is on your staple... I assumed it was on one of the legs but if it's on the cross piece between the legs it will work as you desire.

Reading to EOT I see that type of catch has aleady been mentioned.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Dave Liquorice writes

I have seen a bi-directional latch system but it uses a horizontal peg on the gate.

AFAIR there are two back to back gravity latches fixed to the post. The direction of swing depends on which catch you release.

Whether it is available to suit a 4" post seems unlikely.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Sounds rather complicated, the spring fastener can be made bi-drectional by using "central closing gate catch Ref: IR29" near the bottom of this page:

it's 6". It might be possible to find a 4" version but the market for this sort of stuff is mainly agricultural and 4" posts don't last long with friendly pushing from cattle...

Of course your local blacksmith can make one for you.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You probably need a 6" length to accommodate the rising cam. The one I found was not equal sided giving some protection against the latch bouncing through.

I think TNP needs to fit a decent 7"x7" Oak post as befits his estate:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb