Gas oven misbehaving

Got summoned by SWMBO to investigate the case of the gas oven not fulfilling its number one purpose for being...

Symptoms seem to be:

It had preheated and was running ok. Set to gas mark 8 it had been on for 20 - 30 mins when the igniter started sparking intermittently. The rate of ignition attempts increased until almost constant. At this point she turned it off and called me. I relit it, and it went into pre-heat ok, and appeared to be working normally again[1]. However, shortly after it resumed the previous behaviour. SWMBO also reported a smell of unburnt gas which would suggest a genuine flame failure. She found that if it was turned down to gas mark 6, then it stopped attempting to ignite, but going back to mark 8 caused a resumption of the problem.

So, likely causes? What to investigate next?

Oven is in a Parkinson Cowan "slot in" cooker. Approx 14 years old.

[1] Although I did not actually test the gas pressure at the time, I did verify that there was no apparent drop in flame height when the boiler kicked in for HW production (35kW).
Reply to
John Rumm

My guess is that the oven has a flame sensing/ignition probe when the flame goes out the ignition start sparking.

The flame is going out for any number of reasons, when the 'regulo' is operating the reduced rate is not enough to keep the flames going.

Again I'm guessing but I'd suspect the low rate bleed hole in the valve has become blocked. Replacement of this valve would be indicated after checking the burner for dirt and the gas supply pressures.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Yup it does. It appears to be correctly positioned in the flame.

Just seemed odd that it only kicked in at higher heat settings. At mark

6 for example it was ok.

Thanks Ed.

I got SWMBO to give the burner assembly and surrounding area a good de-grease, and vacuumed it as well. Since then it seems to be behaving.

Reply to
John Rumm