Gas Meter - bracket

Hi,

I'm in the process of renovating my kitchen, and as part of doing this I have knocked down an airing cupboard in preparation for the hot water cylinder to be removed shortly.

Also in the the cupboard is the gas meter, which I seem to have dislodged as part of dismantling the cupboard.

Essentially the supply from the mains to the meter is via a flexible metal connection, and the output of the meter is to my copper pipework which supplies the boiler and cooker.

The soldered "out" connection of meter has come away. This appears to have been the only thing holding it to the wall.

Obviously the first thing I did was to turn off the gas supply to the meter.

My question is, should the gas meter not have been attached to the wall by some kind of bracket? Is this not part of the regulations? I'm amazed that when the meter was replaced last year, a bracket was not installed.

Also, does responsibility for this lie with me, or the gas provider?

The boiler is getting replaced tomorrow anyway, so I'll ask the plumber to sort this pipework then.

See some photo's here

xscope

Steve Walker

Maybe try

- does this work for you?

Reply to
xscope

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 21:14:30 +0100, "Steve Walker" had this to say:

They display fine here in FF :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Also here in FF and IE8

Trevor Smith

Reply to
Trevor Smith

Yep, that one's fine thanks!

Re your gas meter, I've often seen them suspended on the pipework like that and wondered why they skimp on a proper bracket.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Normal practice appears to be to suspend them from a bracket, as shown on the BES website .

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Mine (same meter) is also just attached to pipes and hanging in the air, bracket attached to nothing. It was like this when the gas people last came in to change the meter and left us with a gas leak (cont. p94...)

Hmm, in this suberbun London house, all the gas, water and electrical connections past the meter have the solid contruction of permanence about them. However, the incoming cables and pipes look as temporary as they probably were when this area was a building site in the middle of a field of 1930's mud.

Reply to
Adrian C

Here's a picture I took, when I walked past a house where they were just finishing off demolishing the garage at the front...

you look closely, you can see the gas valve is still in the ON position.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The pipe should be 22mm to the iron elbow not reduced to 15mm. The are supposed to have the meter on bracket, and it the meter is newish and they never fitted brackets then they pay. From the outlet onwards is your responsibility. If the problem arose because they never did their side properly, which they never, then they pay.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I get them fine in IE8 as well.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

What's the problem it appears to be supported:-)

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Also in Opera 10 B3.