Ceramic toilet on a slate floor

We've just had a slate floor put down in a small cloakroom and the plumber is back to refit the toilet in a different position tomorrow.

I've tried it in the proposed position but notice the pan is likely to end up with a very slight wobble if nothing else is used other than the original screws when it's fixed to the floor. What solution should I be checking for to make sure it's a good fix with no gap / rattling etc?

Reply to
seani

Huge dollop of firm setting mastic perhaps.

Reply to
gunsmith

I'd go for a bead/bed of polyester resin (screwfix 16539) for maximum strength & stability, covered later by a smear of silicone for appearance.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Ditch the screws and glue it down with silicone.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher coughed up some electrons that declared:

I've got to fit my bog soon...

This trick of siliconing in: do you sit the loo up on packers (few mm) while the silicon sets, then remove the packers and tighten the screws?

Just checking the details...

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Just a bed of silicone! No screws, no packers, just silicone. Has worked for two toilets on tile floors so I reckon it's good enough.

Rob

Reply to
Rob G

I would think that screws have a useful role in locating the w.c - and even preventing any force from lifting it.

Reply to
John

Thanks for all your replies folks, I like the idea of just siliconing it in, seems much less error prone than drilling through slate.

Reply to
seani

Rob G wibbled:

Really - hadn't considered that. Seems like an easier idea.

So - just to double check (forgive me - not want to do this job twice!) - just normal regular silicone? Not acrylic, polyurethane, weird silicone or anything funky?...

Ta

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

If the floor is dead flat, yes. If it aint, don't bother...

I just got a few matches, propped it and went around with the gun forcing it underneath.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You havent tried pulling a siliconed one up then..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It is, and in my case, the screws weren't long enough to get all the way through the tiles and cement to the wood underneath.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Are you sure you don't mean 23386?

Reply to