garden fences

Next door, who rents and myself, bought, are contemplating replacing the wire link fence between us as a joint venture. Looking at a wooden fence closer to the houses, it looks like the fence belongs to the owner of the rented property. The posts are on her side of the fence.

Two questions...

1 What would be the best fence to put up. I don't see it being any higher than 4 foot, or it will block light into our garden? I don't fancy panels, but more soething like verticals, spaced out. The original posts were put in the ground around early 1978.

2 Will the common errection of the fence have any come backs in the future?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Dave coughed up some electrons that declared:

Something like this?

's 3' high.

A quick trip to the garden centre could be in order - those guys often deliver.

For more privacy you can get verticals on both sides, offset, which also make a better wind buffer than flat panels (slow the wind rather than create turbulance).

Only if one or the other of you gets all numpty and legal down the line. It could I suppose cause an argument when it falls down as to who gets to replace it. Might be easier to agree that the current notional fence owner remains so, if you happen to know that? Or just arrange that the posts go on the side of the person who's willing to take sole charge of it should things go pear shaped.

Make a verbal agreement now at least and at least you'll have something to fall back on. Legal people might have a different opinion but I'd go with a certain amount of common sense unless you like paying solicitors :)

Nice when people can cooperate in a shared interest :)

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

> That's 3' high.

By convention a side fence is the responsibility of _one_ of the neighbours - with the other neighbour coughing up for the other fence on their other side and so-on up/down the road. If I were in your position I'd check (possibly with another neighbour on your other side, if there is one) what the local practice is. So far as getting "numpty and legal" goes, don't forget it's not really your tenant neighbour's decision, their landlord may want to have their say, too.

Reply to
pete

pete coughed up some electrons that declared:

A very good point...

Reply to
Tim S

A neighbour has just put up some of

very nice...and I'm impressed with other jacksons stuff (they are local to me which helps - but they deliver country wide I think)

Surely it's actually the landlords fence? They may have a view (they may well not care if they are getting a new fence for free of course!)

Darren

Reply to
dmc

I think that is what we are thinking about.

Since we already have the posts in the ground, I thought about getting some treeted timber and creating the horizontals and fitting the verticals myself. Shouldn't cost that much and we can make the fence a little bit higher, say 4 foot.

It's not the privacy I am looking for, but the breakdown of the wind. I did this on the fence at the other side of the garden many years ago and it is in need of repair now.

Many thanks for that

Dave

Reply to
Dave

>>> That's 3' high.

We have very good relations with them, I can't see them arguing about it.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

look good, but I am not so sure they will do the job I want.

Well, we got a very good fence off them when they fenced the path they also own at the bottom of my garden. I complained and they turned round and said that they wanted a continuous fence.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I'm replacing the fence between us and the neighbour,both rent. Landlord is paying for materials and I'm installing. Satisfactory all round.

heh, they do all the parts to make your own as well. Probably easier to source locally though

ah, fairy snuff :)

Darren

Reply to
dmc

You probably ought to look at the deeds of your properties - it's often stated explicitly in there who owns the fences and who's responsible for maintaining them. So I presume that if you go 50:50 on replacing the existing one, then that doesn't change that. Might that be an issue with a future owner of one of the properties?

David

Reply to
Lobster

The only problem with that, is that the deeds were so badly drawn up. No. 28 is the house where we have agreed to re do the fence and it is her landlords. We are No. 29 and the T on the deeds points to out lounge wall that is the party wall with No. 30.

You couldn't make this up.

Dave

Reply to
Dave