Garage Power Shopping List

Well, doing 2 way lighting circuits with 2.5 is a little tricky, if you're worried about having too much cable why not buy it by the metre. ..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

I assume you mean the latter? ..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

Leave it! It's been discussed many a time here. 3 core is fine for what the OP wants, don't confuse him. ..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

On 15/02/2004 manoman opined:-

You will find out in trying to wire the lighting in 2.5mm, that you can only get one 2.5mm core into each lighting circuit terminal.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The Lord alerted my mind to the presence of this EVIL article by Harry Bloomfield, and I thusly replied:

How bright is the light in your NetKKKoping Room, Harold?

Reply to
The Right Rev. Peter Parsnip

Surely it's a special corner of his caravan? As he feverishly types, his bald pate reflects the light of the gas mantle.

Reply to
Pirx Teh Caravan Pilot

Thanks, this is why I asked, this is all very useful stuff. I'll get two lots of cable for this, probably still get reels, but smaller ones.

Thanks again

Phil

Reply to
manoman

Thanks for that, I'll definately be using the 1mm stuff now :)

Phil

Reply to
manoman

Thanks for the information.

Can I get those from Screwfix Andy?

Phil

Reply to
manoman

Its going underground and under garage base

Phil

Reply to
manoman

oooh.... I like it!! Will definately look into that!!

Phil

Reply to
manoman

Really? I don't know how many I would need for it to be well lit.

It will be a 29 x 9 foot garage

Phil

Reply to
manoman

I may add diffusers later but the cost is stopping me at the moment. It increase the cost significantly as far as I can see.

I am just going to use the earth within the cable if thats still ok when I export my earth.

Phil

Reply to
manoman

yes please.... don't confuse me...its daunting enough already. I do stuff like this all day but for some reason because its my own I am getting paranoid. I would hate someone coming to my house and thinking I had done a half-assed job.

Phil

Reply to
manoman

I haven't seen them there.

Again, TLC have them, as do WF and any other trade supplier, although they may have to order them in - normally 2-3 days.

Here's an example.

can get fittings without covers with the electronic ballasts and you can also buy the ballasts separately to put in a standard fitting, but it's generally cheaper to buy them in the fitting.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

TLC are doing single 5' diffusers for 7 quid each - so probably not going to break the bank. I think I paid less than that at my local electrical wholesalers (about 6 quid for two IIRC).

That is fine. You should also connect the screen at the source end to give better protection to the cable (having said that - if it is buried under concrete then it is not going to make much difference!)

Reply to
John Rumm

The Lord alerted my mind to the presence of this EVIL article by Pirx Teh Caravan Pilot, and I thusly replied:

I like the sound of that. Let's hear more stories about it.

Reply to
The Left Rev. P. Parsnipe

What you've got will light it ok for general purpose parking of a car but for workshop use I would find it inadequate. I would use the fittings you have, sideways on and equally spaced up the length of the garage and put some extra lighting over any workbenches. My garage is about 5m x 2.5m and I have 3x 5' twins, probably overkill but I can definitely see what I'm doing! ..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

Well its kind of a temporary arrangement as I plan to use the back half to have a reconditioned pub pool table in, and I will be rethinking the lighting then if I can get hold of a proper hood for above the table.

Thats the plan anyway... more of a play pen than a workshop :)

Phil

Reply to
manoman

That's the best use for the back half of a garage as far as I can see! I'm thinking of putting my pool table in the lounge, the garage is full! ..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch