Garage Power Shopping List

I would really appreciate it if you guys could look at this a see if I have I missed anything obvious?

Cable:

3core x 4mm Armoured Black 25m Coil BW20S Indoor Gland Kit 2.5mm T&E 100m Reel

Power Sockets

13A Double Switched Socket x 4 2G 32mm Square Corner Socket Box x 4

Lighting + Suspension Accessories

Fluorescent Fitting 1200mm 36W x 4 Fluroescent Tube 26mmx1200mm 36W x 4 Galvanised Steel Suspension Clip x 10 Steel Chain 10m Length

Mini Consumer Unit:

Garage Unit 40A/30MA + 16A,6A MCB

Light Switches for 2 zone lighting:

Ceiling Pullcord Switch 10Amp 2 way x1 (For just inside garage door)

6Amp 2Way 2Gang Plate Switch x 1 (for just inside access door) 1G 32mm Square Corner Socket Box x 1

Thanks :)

Phil

Reply to
manoman

Two comments: Why the pull switch and are you going to enclose the cables in mini trunking or conduit for extra protection (I assume you will be using this garage for more than just parking a car in) ?

Reply to
Jerry.

In message , manoman writes

Big garage :-)

Metal clad I assume?

i'd have gone for a 20A for the sockets 'just in case' if possible, but probably doesn't matter.

I'd run the cable in conduit. It gives the cable some extra protection from damage, and it makes a much neater job, takes a little bit longer and costs a bit more, but not dreadful.

Reply to
chris French

1mm twin and earth and 3 core and earth for the two way and lighting circuit ?

Trunking, for the drops to switch and sockets? Clip the cable round the top of the garage and enclose the drops. It does depend how you interpret the list, I could say screws, clips and such, but you must have already thought of all that. Other than that it's fine. ..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

Why not use 2 core?

You'll use the armour as the earth- isolated at the shed end (plastic comsumer unit) and connected at the house end (metal knock out box connected to earth- NB 10mm2 cable here please)

You'll need some more 10mm2 earth cable and a copper earth spike at shed. [1]

Assuming TT system.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

I think we're getting a little over complex here, see many previous posts about earthing arrangements to outbuildings. ..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

Thanks for taking the time to look at this

Pull switch is for (wait for it) pulling on when i drive in the garage to turn the light on through the window. Hope it is as cunning as it sounds.

And conduit... good idea which I will definately be using!

Thanks again, seems I havent done too bad in my list making

Phil

Reply to
manoman

Is 29 foot long big enough?

Good point... will specify metal clad :)

OK... can always replace with 20A later

Definately seems a good idea using the conduit, thanks for taking the time to look and help me out

Phil

Reply to
manoman

Well I guess, but that means two lots of cable when a reel of one type is sooooo cheap. Any benefit to using 1mm?

Conduit.... seems to be my major miss out... thanks for looking at my list and suggesting improvments :)

Phil

Reply to
manoman

I intend to share the earth with my house... is that so bad?

Thanks for looking and suggesting the improvement though

Phil

Reply to
manoman

No, there are pro's and cons, much discussed here already. Unless the garage was a fair distance from the house I wouldn't bother with a separate earth.

Reply to
chris French

nah... its like 3m max away from the consumer unit, not even sure I need the aforementioned reel but I cant find it priced per metre anywhere

Phil

Reply to
manoman

TLC

sell it by the metre.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks andy, know anywhere in the north ?

Phil

Reply to
manoman

On 15/02/2004 manoman opined:-

Fit a PIR to turn a light on :-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The lighting seems to be inadequate if you intend to do any serious work in there.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

They'll ship it.

For orders under £150 cost is £5.

You might want to cost your shopping list on their site, they are usually competitive.

Alternatively, if you want to visit a trade counter, try WF Electrical. They will normally do a deal and have branches over most of the country. The will cut lengths of SWA as well and will deliver within reason.

WF and TLC have own brand stuff which is quite similar. WF's Alto range for lights etc. is pretty good.

While I think of it, if you are putting fluorescents in a garage, you might want to consider electronic ballasted ones. They cost a bit more but work well in cold weather and don't flicker.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

You only need two core because you can use the shield as earth. If exporting the house earth then you can use a metal consumer unit in the garage and the glands should ensure the earths are well tied together.

Diffusers? I know the ones fitted to the lights in my workshop have saved a tube on a number of occasions when I have clomped it with a lump of 2x4!

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , Andy Hall writes

I had no problem getting cut lengths of SWA from a local trade counter.

I'm just wondering if this cable is going underground or overground. If the former, then I'd probably use Hi-Tuf instead as it's a bit easier to work with.

Reply to
chris French

I've got this idea floating around in my head that if you are exporting the earth you are not supposed to use the sheath for this.

Reply to
chris French