Garage conversion window regulations

Im in Scotland and im planning a garage conversion. Im trying to work out what size of window I can install. I want as small a window as possible, its for a computer and TV room, but I believe there is a regulation for daylight. Does anyone know what the formula is , something do do with the window's area against the total area of the room?

TIA

Doug

Reply to
dougsdir24

I don't know if it's different in Scotland, but the regulation rule of thumb is 10% of the floor area has to be glazed. 5% of the area has to be openable, so if you had a 10sq m room, you could have a

1sq metre window with half of that openable, or a 1sq m closed window (all glazed) with an unglazed (or lookalike panel) that opens separately at 0.5m sq.

Hope that makes sense.

Reply to
Rexx Magnus

This could be a big mistake for when you eventually want to sell up. People may be put off, perceive it (and by implication maybe the whole house) as being dark.

What's wrong with blinds?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Glazed flooring? Wouldn't that be rather, er, dark?

Reply to
Huge

LOL, yes slightly bad grammar there. :)

Reply to
Rexx Magnus

No, it's the Calvinist influence on our Building Standards. It's so you can see the burning pits of hell in the middle of the lounge floor.

Also saves on cutting peat.

Owain

Reply to
Owain