Garage conversion

Not completely DITY but enough will be... is it accepatble to have a steel lintel as a bearer for the brickworrk under the window which will replace the front up and over door?? Or should it be dug out and foundations cast??

Reply to
nnk

You will need a proper foundation. Is this an integral garage? If so there is a fair chances you already have a foundation anyway - they would not have stopped and started the foundation just because there was going to be a garage there.

Reply to
John Rumm

Oh yes they would! Mine did anyway - there was only a thin layer of concrete through the doorway. In my case, the BCO was happy with two pre-stressed concrete lintels (one for each skin) running the full width of the opening, and bearing on the proper foundations each side. As in the case cited by the OP, this was only supporting the brickwork under the window (and the window itself) with the original upper lintel remaining in place.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Only way to find out is have an exploratory dig I guess then. I helped a mate do his a year or so ago. That had a full foundation already in place, so the BCO was happy to build off it. (he was not retaining the original opening lintel at the top)

Reply to
John Rumm