Gaps on top of 13A sockets

I have a couple in the conservatory where the plaster is bowed in, leaving a 3mm gap on top of the socket in the centre section.

OK - it's not really unsafe, but it is in breach of the regs which is IP4x (and I *think* tha applies to accessories as well as tops of consumer units).

Either way, it's a bit tatty, but also a little bit tricky to fill.

Anyoen go any time saving tips for how to run a line of something behind the plate without making a mess of a painted wall?

I was wondering if masking tape to the back of the plate along the top, a bead of caulk then screw the plate back and wipe off the excess might be one way? Caulk being stickier than filler plus coming out of a tube.

Loosen plate when set and remove masking tape...

Reply to
Tim Watts

The socket should be fitted to a proper back box. In which case it's not possible to get at any live bits.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

[snip]

If the plaster surface is bowed back then it's quite likely that it's been skimmed slightly proud of the back box.

Even when a socket mates up snugly against the back box the shape of the backs of most sockets would allow water to work its way round between it and the edges of the box if there's a gap between the socket and plaster.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Didn't realise we were talking about waterproof fittings. If so, even more important they are installed correctly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OP said IP4X, son not rated for water, only objects such as poking a bit of metal in there.

Reply to
PeterC

How about, loosen plate, rake out a little plaster at the *sides*, then re-fix. Edges will sit deeper, closing some of the gap at top. Quick fillet of caulk for the rest.

Reply to
John Rumm