fuel for 2 stroke engines

I have twice been told, by different Stihl service centres, that no fuel shoul be held over winter due to degradation. Is this hogwash? We store upwards of 100 litres of petrol in a mixture of 25litre and 5 litre containers, Am I supposed to dump this at summer end or add Briggs ans Stratton Fuel Fit ? (its stored in an approved manner )

Reply to
fred

probably legalBollox.

Started the camper yesterday with 2 year old petrol in the tank.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's balls. If you leave two stroke mix long enough a significant proportion of the fuel might evaporate, leaving oil that could clag up the jets, float chamber, etc. I suppose the risk is greater if you store it somewhere very warm. Petrol will lose some of the volatiles, it is sometimes best to start the season with "fresh" but IME with electronic ignition this is not the problem it used to be.

Reply to
newshound

I've, today, started our 4S petrol lawnmover (management insisted grass be cut) Fuel in the tank has bEen there since September.

Reply to
charles

I have found that using metal Jerrycans (10 litre size is more convenient than full-sized ones) avoids the problems that sometimes occur with plastic containers. The volatiles in petrol do seem to diffuse through the walls of plastic containers and disappear.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

And no-one believes me when I say that ordinary coax cable will take in moisture through the outer sheath if it is submerged or buried.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

I run my coax (especially RG213) in hose pipe to protect it for this very reason.

Reply to
Brian

I do.

John