winterising 2 stroke engines

I've seen 3 suggestions.

1/ start and run the machine for a few minutes once a month during the layup season.

2/Use a fuel stabiliser.

3/ Run the machine to a stop a few times and use the starter bulb while doing so to ensure all fuel is flushed out of the system

No 2 would be the easiest. No 3 the most effective. No.1 a p.i.t.a.

Anyone any experiences of these .

Reply to
fred

Or use Easystart when the time comes to start it in the Spring?

Reply to
Fredxx

If the gasket and other bits in the carb has degraded by the ethanol even that won't help.

Reply to
Andrew

That worked perfectly with a lawnmower for me.

Reply to
charles

I didn't think the ethanol degraded the gaskets.I unsderstood the problem was caused by the ethanol etc evaporating and leaving a lac

Reply to
fred

leaving a lacqur deposit clogging the internals of the cartb

Reply to
fred

I have several such engines for gardening. I just run them out of fuel as I do with my 4 stroke engines.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Wonder how long before they are banned here - as it seems they are going to be in CA.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

On the last run before lay-up, turn off the fuel supply off and run the engine until it stops, then turn the engine over to compression.

Ensure the fuel tank is full. Place a folded towel over the fuel filler cap, as many folds as you can while leaving enough drape to ensure no direct air passage to the filler cap,

Get an oily rag and stuff it into the exhaust pipe, leaving enough showing so you won't forget it's there next Spring.

Cover the whole thing with a cotton cloth.

Reply to
Spike

Then use Super Unleaded. Some of which is ethanol free:

"Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland). Legislation requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded petrol with ?up to 5% ethanol?, including those that contain no ethanol, which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+ 99 pumps"

Reply to
Fredxx

4/ use aspen 2 for the last fill.

I'm not going to worry about it and will continue to use pump E10 for the saws but I already use aspen in the hedgecutters because they use so little and run nearer my face.

Reply to
AJH

That's what I do.

I also have an old home maintenance book that suggests taking out the spark plug, squirting in oil, and cranking it a few times before replacing the plug.

Never done that...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

IME modern lubricants have clever formulations that prevent significant piston ring/bore corrosion over a season or two of inactivity. It's good advice for anything you might be laying up for a while, though. Works best if you are in traditional car/motorbike configuration with a vertical cylinder, so that the oil settles in a nice ring all around the piston / bore / rings.

Reply to
newshound

Andrew

I just leave them and they start again in the next year. Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Not much experience yet of over-wintering petrol engines using E10 fuel.

Reply to
mechanic

We used to do that with a V8 boat engine. ISTR Volvo recommended Redex. Taking the spark plugs out of a marinised V8 was a bastard of a job because of the water jacketing round the exhaust manifold.

Reply to
fred