Frothy Taps

You know when airports and motorway cafes refurbish their loos, the trend is to install those nice foamy taps.

I need to replace the mixer tap in the kitchen but what's the technology behind the foaming?

Obviously you can't get a 2L kettle under a motorway style tap but there must higher types on the market?

Any thoughts on models? Any makes to avoid?

Reply to
Bertie Doe

Presumably you're not talking about some sort of soap-dosing? I've never seen them if you are.

OK so no, you probably don't want soapy coffee, my Franke kitchen tap has what it calls a 'perlator' which is just a bit of fine metal gauze that screws onto the outlet ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ah thanks Andy, I reckon the metal gauze will do the trick. The Franke isn't available locally, I'll have a look online, thanks.

Reply to
Bertie Doe

Don't know about makes but the technology is to suck air into the water stream. This creates air bubbles in the water stream which burst on contact with skin. The theory is it takes less water to wet you - less splashing water wasted (but will take longer to fill a kettle)

Chris B

I have fitted these to last 2 houses, they are simply small aeration devices that screw into the end of the taps (Ideal Standard) As described above they are a fine mesh ... as the unit screw into end of tap .. it adds nothing to tap length.

First came across these on taps in Germany at end of 70's

Reply to
rick

Brilliant, thanks Chris, the aerator must be similar to the effect with the metal gauze fixed to Andy's Franke tap. It seems to reduce the amount of hot water wasted, so a big saving in public loos. I can live with the slow kettle fill.

I've just had a look at the Franke site. Quite a large range. I looked at the details and there may be issues with some of the taps' compatibility with our combi boiler. I may have to give Baxi a ring.

Some of the spouts are single flow and some bi-flo. Are there any ad/disadvantages of either type, anyone, thanks.

Reply to
Bertie Doe

They are aerators, they just add air bubbles into the flow. Lidl was selling bits to screw onto a mixer that did that or made a multi jet spray when you twisted it.

A quick search for "tap aerator" on amazon will give you loads to choose from.

Reply to
dennis

Just like the things pubs put on their beer taps to "froth" the beer.

Reply to
charles

Thanks Dennis, I'll have a look online, although in fairness the existing mixer tap is corroding and could do with replacing.

Reply to
Bertie Doe