Freshening up bargeboards

So the front of my house (now in it's 45th year) has wooden barge boards which are flaking quite badly. Having promply run out of available funds after new kitchen, new bathroom, cleakroom and decorating top to bottom (internally), and finally new windows (gone are the Crittle nightmares) I need to do something about the yellowing nature of the woodwork out front. So suggestions would be appreciated as to the best course of action. Rub down lightly and re-paint. Rub down more thoroughly, treat the wood (oil?) and re-paint. Or just hang on until I can stick uPVC over the whole lot and never have to worry about it again. I have to say other houses in my road with well looked after original bargeboards do look better than those repaced by uPVC.

Oh and any suggestions on paint types, wood treatment, ladder vs scaffold tower type things would be much appreciated

Thanks

Reply to
Dr Hfuhruhurr

If it's flaking, it needs a good scraping first, then a rub down with sanpaper, a stiff brushing down ( up under the gutter) 2 coats undercoat and 1 of gloss....this is assuming you'll be having ut clad in pvc in the next year or two, if not, give it 2 coats of each

Don't start painting until it's all prepared otherwise your undercoat will get full of crap.

use ladders - you're only in one place for ten minutes at a time and climbing up and down a tower and moving it a few feet 15 times a day soon loses it's appeal

Reply to
Phil L

In article , Phil L writes snip

Snip Don't use a blow lamp to remove the old paint as my neighbour did.............

Reply to
Chris Holford

LOL. I'm just imagining the consequences.....

Thanks guys

Reply to
Dr Hfuhruhurr