Forklift Truck Safety ...or not

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oB6DN5dYWo

On 16/04/2013 13:41, The Other Mike wrote:

I was shown that video, with an English commentary, when I was being trained as a fork lift truck driver.
Colin Bignell
I can remember a time when I worked in a TV factory, when due to some miscalculation, a truck lifted some boxes of CRTs off alorry nd on the way down a slight incline to the stores the whole lot tiped over. A very big bang and lots of tinkling later, a large pile of broken glass and pulverised polystyrene packaging was left on the floor and yet, nobody got cut due to the slowing effects of the packaging, but the driver got sent to retraining and health and safety was in vogue for a few months, until one day, a welder managed to burn the factory down. grin
Brian
The Other Mike wrote:

Class.
And when we could not find the platform when I swapped the outside lights at a farm I just sat in the bucket and was lifted up to the lights.
--
Adam

Just hope there are no tourists about:-(

--
Tim Lamb

Tim Lamb wrote:

Thats exactly how it was - apart from the telehandler was yellow!.
Sometimes you just have to get a job done. I do not like heights but I felt perfectly safe on this job - I cannot see how I could have fallen - the bucket was an inch from the barn (and not against an open door/space as on your link) and the light was at chest level.
--
Adam

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 19:29:13 +0100, "ARW"

Yeah, and what happens when a hose bursts?
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

No idea - tell me.
--
Adam

Regulation on lifting equipment is supposed to anticipate that.
Approved working platforms exist which can be raised using conventional fork lifts. As with much H&S, the safety guards tend to get in the way.
--
Tim Lamb

On Apr 18, 10:29 pm, "ARW" wrote:

at

And from the same publication (althugh a different incident) that Mr Lamb has linked to:
Mr Russell, 63, narrowly escaped death after he fell out of a bucket and landed head first on concrete while fixing new guttering on a barn. Mr Russell, of Didmarton, Gloucestershire, suffered a traumatic brain injury in the incident in December 2009. He spent three months recovering in hospital and was unable to work for six months. Mr Russell has also developed post-trauma epilepsy brought on by the head injury and doctors have advised him not to drive. http://www.fwi.co.uk/articles/15/04/2013/138607/dangers-of-working-at-heigh t-under-spotlight.htm
Apart from which, you don't know what that bucket's been used for shovelling before you sit in it.
Owain
Owain wrote:

http://www.fwi.co.uk/articles/15/04/2013/138607/dangers-of-working-at-height-under-spotlight.htm

10 foot fall? 10 foot high is ladder work.
--
Adam