for those of U on ntl broadband

Well sort of D-I-Y.. if you phone 'em up you can have your speed upgraded for the same money. I've just had mine done from 750 to 2 Meg and it rocks:))

U can do it online, but you need to know your ntl username and password...

Reply to
tony sayer

I upgraded mine online last night, mucho speed now!

Andy

In article , Andy writes

Heres the direct link......;

tony sayer

In message , tony sayer writes

Using an old stb here so can't get 2MB get - so they've upgraded me to

1MB and reduced the charge to GBP17.99 until they give me a new shiny Samsung.
Reply to
stejonda

And mucho 'cap' (download limits) also?

Ok, not a problem if you just want yer emails pronto but a 1G bps you would be surprised how quickly you can reach yer cap / day / month?

My daughter spends much of her evening / weekend on her webcam with her mates / boyfriend, downloading music lyrics / music / tab for her bass guitar and browsing eBay for things for me to buy her ;-(. I'm often downloading drivers / patches / utils and a few hundred emails a day (mostly spam tho) but some with large attachments (joke mpgs etc from mates) and the missus get's emails with family photos etc.

So at 300K bps it *might* take 3 times longer (than 1G) .. that's assuming we get the 1G over the entire Inet path though .. ?

No such thing as a free lunch etc?

All the best ..

T i m

Generally happy and long term NTL customer ..

Reply to
T i m

In message , T i m writes

Those caps have been in the T&Cs for a while - it's whether they enforce them that matters. I s'pose with upgraded speed one is more likely to come to their attention.

Reply to
stejonda

1Gigabyte / day download "cap" on the 2Meg option. That's a lot of capacity for the majority of internet users.
Reply to
Andy

Beware the caps though!

People on their 300k service (which has a notional 1GB per day cap) will have to phone up to upgrade (to 1Mbps) because they need to accept changes to their T&C's as you will now have only 3GB a month (approx 100MB a day). People on their other services will be upgraded automatically (including replacing Pace STB's which cannot handle > 1Mbps) - these people will also have a 1GB per day cap which is what you've had for a while (although not enforced). If you're in a hurry, you can phone to get it done sooner.

Whilst previously the caps have been suggested - this time they're going to enforce them (although only implemented later in the year). Apparently when you exceed your cap you'll probably be dropped to around 56k or charged for the extra usage. It also appears that they include uploads in your allocation - not just downloads.

Once you've upgraded, you won't be able to downgrade to your previous speed (although you can change your level to any product they currently sell as per normaly - you'll just not be able to go to the speeds they used to do). This affects the 300k people the most as you'll go from 1GB a day @ 300Kbps to 100MB a day @ 1Mbps with no option to return to that old service/caps. The only option, should you want to avoid the very low cap, is to upgrade to their 2Mbps service which is £8 a month more with 1GB a day cap.

I'm using Netmeter to monitor my usage over a month to decide whether I exceed, on average, 100MB a day/3GB a month. Whilst faster connections are nice - it just means you hit the cap sooner, especially when they've reduced the cap by a factor of 10. Speed increases 3x, cap reduces 10x.

David

Reply to
David Hearn

In article , Andy writes

Quite.. and really I reckon thats fine for me, I doubt most days I'd even come near that and others perhaps, so all in all about right. Not a bad deal otherwise and If that isn't good enough you can upgrade but personally I'd prefer a fast link with a cap, and isn't 2 Meg fast enough for anyone?, and the rest of the net?.

We'll have to wait and see how and what ntl are going to do about it if peeps go overtime, but its getting a competitive market now and ntl only have cable TV to offer and Sky generally give better deals and customer service, and as to residential phones I think their days are numbered, so BB is all they have left to offer....

Reply to
tony sayer

Question:- What do the letters "ntl" stand for?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

They were taken from the original company which once was the Independent Broadcasting Authority this was sold off for a song and turned into National Transcommunications Ltd which though rather imposing was abbreviated to ntl when the company was again bought out by the cabletel company IIRC...

however since then its been known as,

not terribly loud

not tonight love

no technicians left

(and some comms managers have been heard to mutter when given quotes for sharing their comms sites as),

national thieves ltd

and quite a few others which elude moi now.....

Reply to
tony sayer

Wow! Result! Thanks, I had wondered about telephone, telecomms, etc. - another useful piece of information to squirrel away!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Nicely put David and why as a 300k customer may be more 'concerened' re the caps than my richer 1M colleagues ;-)

So, I'm unlikely to 'need' any more that 1G / day but *could* exceed (with 3 users) 3G/ month so I also will wait and see.

And as I mentioned before .. I have used my mates 1G (ntl) service and seen downloads slower than my 300k .. not because anything is wrong, just the net doing it's thing .. (suggesting even if at 1M I would definatly get the cap but may not get the bandwidth ..?)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

What worries me is that they want you to agree to new T&Cs now, but are not yet saying what happens if you hit the cap. I have no problem with reduced speed, but they _could_ impose surcharges as the only option.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

saying what happens

And indeed, another of my concerns Mike ..

I have no problem with reduced speed, but they _could_ impose surcharges as the

True. However I don't think they would want customers voting with their feet and they might just have to be a bit careful not to come across heavy handed with this one.

I have no issues with the concept of the cap and whilst I enjoy the product as advertised ("No restrictions surfing 24/7" sort of thing) I am happy to continue to use them.

A while back I thought I might upgrade from 150 to 300 k .. when I asked they said I'd have to go onto direct debit (we didn't want to) so we didn't bother? A couple of months later I was automatically upgraded to 300k and even got the upgrade 'free' for 3 months and no talk of direct debit? (Bless them) ;-)

Maybe we need to run Netmeter (mentioned on this thread) on all 3 PC's here (plus the Laptop now and again) and actually measure our typical useage .. (if you can measure it you can fix it sort of thing ..) but would have to configure it not to measure the local traffic (if that's possible) or we'll have UT games appearing in the sums ;-(

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

In message , T i m writes

Yes, I was wondering about that, as there is a fair bit of internal traffic on our network I imagine.

anyway moot point for now, seeing as we move soon (hopefully in the next

4-6 weeks) and will have to get ADSL anyway.

Which ISP.....????

Reply to
chris French

In message , chris French writes

a friend, who is a customer of theirs, constantly recommends Andrews & Arnold -

stejonda

I have been very happy with

You can compare ISPs at

Thins are going to be changing in the next few months (at least with Free Online, and possibly / probably with most /all other ISPs) in so far as BT are changing the way they charge ISPs for their bandwidth. As far as Free Online goes, this means a fixed price regardless of speed (potentially up to 8 MB) with different monthly rates depenadnt upon useage.

HTH,

Chris.

Reply to
Chris

Yes, all bandwidths are charged at pretty well the same rate, so if you can get 2MB/s you might as well have it....some ISPs will charge more though.

They are also changing the costs for data volume (which may be what Chris meant) so caps, limits and volume charging will become common except among ISPs with a customer base such as AOL's, where the majority of their customers are low data users and will effectively subsidise the heavy users.

OTOH, who wants to use AOL! !

Reply to
Bob Eager

In article , chris French writes

I've heard a lot of good things said about Eclipse Internet.

Look up suppliers on

tony sayer