Floorbox for floorboards ?

Hi All,

I want to route a variety of cables down through the carpet/floorboards and back up again at various points in the room. This is for running speaker cable, ethernet cable and some hifi and home cinema interconnects.

Now I could simply drill some holes straight through the carpet/floorboards, feed the cables down and back up again at the various points required. I wondered, however, if there was a neater and potentially more future proof way of doing this.

Now Ive seen in offices a "floorbox" which provides recessed access to things like power, ethernet, phone etc, and this seems ideal. However, the ones that have come up in google have all been for use in raised floors.

So, has anyone seen something like a floorbox that is suitable for your average (non raised floor) home use ? Alternatively, has anyone got any other suggestions ?

Cheers, John.

Reply to
John

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 17:24:43 GMT, John strung together this:

Er, a house floorboards is pretty much the same thing. Wood suspended on things. All you need to do is cut a hole out of the size required by the box, fix battens underneath unsupported edges where required, (rememebering to allow for fixings of boxes), and drop box in.

Reply to
Lurch

I would suggest not trying to drill straight through a carpet. You can get a thread catch on the drill bit and rip a 6 foot line of tufts out of the carpet in a split second. Just don't ask how I know this ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Ouch! Marriage saving advice there - thanke mate. John.

Reply to
John

lol. Its safe to screw or nail through it, but dont drill!.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

On 8 Jul 2004 07:01:26 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) strung together this:

Screwing through carpet can have undesired effects also. (Done that)!

Reply to
Lurch

"Lurch" wrote | N. Thornton strung together this: | >lol. Its safe to screw or nail through it, but dont drill!. | Screwing through carpet can have undesired effects also. (Done that)!

I thought it was screwing /on/ carpet that caused carpet burns. Never heard of screwing /through/ the stuff.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

what happened? I kinda guessed it was important for the screw to get into the wood right away...

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

OMG, Ive created a monster.