1/2" BSP to 22mm

I'm going to get a Grundfos booster pump for my DHW, and it's got 1/2" BSP couplings.

Can you tell me the most effective way to get it into a 22mm pipe.

I'd like to start with compression fittings - it's only the first stage as I don't seem to be able to get all the bits I want from the same supplier, so it will prolly be reinstalled quite soon

TIA

mike

Reply to
mike ring

You don't say whether the fittings on the pump are male or female.

If they are female then you can get a 22mmx1/2" BSP male coupler from BES

part 7812

If male, then a 22mm x 1" coupler (9006) and a reducing bush 1"x1/2" (6630)

You may be able to get pump unions which would make for easier removal for servicing, but I haven't seen any as small as 1/2". Another approach is to put a lever ball valve each side of the pump and to use those for isolation if you need it.

The above fittings are pretty standard from a plumber's merchant.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 19:00:46 +0000 (UTC), mike ring strung together this:

1/2" male to 22mm, 15mm tap connector. 1/2" female to 22mm, 15mm compression fitting, or for higher flow a 15mm full bore valve.
Reply to
Lurch

Are you *sure* it's 1/2"BSP - and that you haven't misread the spec? If it's a conventional CH pump, it will most likely have 1 1/2" (1.5) BSP threads, in which case standard pump connectors - with or without gate valves or ball valves incorporated into them - can be bought which terminate either in 22mm stub pipes or 22mm compression fittings.

Reply to
Set Square

It's a secondary circulation bronze pump with connections that small, hence

1/2" connections. Best put it on the draw-off return back to the cylinder after the last tap draw-off point. To avoid extracting too much heat, it is best to install a pipe stat on the return pipe just after the last draw-off point. the pipe can be 15mm back to the cylinder

Best fit it in the 15mm pipe returning back to the cylinder and use 1/2" FBSP to 15mm connectors and a 15mm full bore valve either side.

Reply to
IMM

"Set Square" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de:

Thanks to Andy and Lurch too.

To tell the truth, I'm not sure whether they're male or female, they've got an external thread, but IMO you could read that either way!

I hadn't really considered isolating it, at least at this stage, but now you've raised it I think I'll need at least a valve in case I have to control flow, in case it's too fierce.

Yes, it's a Grundfos UPA 15-90, well described at

"home booster pump" (no direct URL)

Having looked ath the suggestions, I'm still a bit baffled, the BES drawings aren't quite clear enough for me. But I'll be OK if I can get into any sort of standard pipe - it looks as though a tap fitting is what's needed, but do they come in that size?

(Didn't take long for this one to go aground)

mike

Reply to
mike ring

It is an in-line bronze booster pump. It only boosts one line, either hot or cold, not both. What do you want to do? Have a power shower?

Reply to
IMM

Try a 15mm tap connector. You can then expand it up to 22mm. Alternatively, you may find a 1/2" tap connector with a 22mm solder/compression on it, although this is less likely.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Alternatively,

It is highly unlikely a tap connector would fit.

Reply to
IMM

A bolt is male. A nut, female.

So, external thread male, internal female.

Although some may prefer the idea of a female being nutty.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

Got it at last, thanks.

Bit difficult for grammar school boys of the fifties - we knew about sex, but didn't realise ther was another one

mike

Reply to
mike ring

It's a start. Then you can move on to something like an XLR connector (used on microphones) where the body of the device is of the opposite sex to the working parts - ie the male plug with pins fits over the female socket. And then there's the now defunct mains version with both pins and sockets on the same end...

Well, we got as far as swopping blazers with the local girls High School, but that's about it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

Spent my working life with them..., constant aggro trying to work out which was the proper way round, which usually changed some way down their working life, and getting used to using plugs for outlets and sockets for inlets, and then working out which was which, because the standards catalogue surely didn't seem right.

There's racy! we never got near them.

( There was a prog on R4 recently which said it was natural and sensible to separate males and females - I couldn't agree more)

mike

Reply to
mike ring

(about XLRs)

The reason for the confusion is that originally they were the normal way round - ie the mic as the source had the female or socket and the input to the amp was the male.

But then along came condenser mics with the powering up the same cable - T-Power or phantom. So now the 'major' volts flow direction is reversed. So that's what they did. And it made sense to change the direction of line level signals too, since they often share a switchable input.

Older Nagras - many still in use - use the original layout and will usually be found with adaptors in the case.

100 volt line stayed the correct way, though, for safety reasons.

Dunno about boarding schools, but I think it's a good idea at day secondary school - helps the concentration. Plenty of time after school for mixing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)