BSP female to 8mm copper

At least I think it's BSP. I need a tapered thread which appears to be 20tpi and about half an inch diameter at the centre of the taper. To this I need to connect 8mm copper. Any ideas? Where do you guys get gas fittings? TIA.

Reply to
Brass Monkey

19tpi would make it 1/4" BSP. If you want to connect to 8mm copper, you will probably need a 3/8" to 1/4" reducer and a 3/8" to 8mm adaptor. I would think it easiest to find those parts at an airline fitting supplier.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

BES, except I can't see that they do 8mm to 1/2" in one adaptor. Cheapest option is probably 1/2" to 15mm, and then a 15mm to 8mm fitting reducer, as these are commonly used items. Somewhat depends if you're willing/able to solder or not, too.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Have a look at this.

8mm copper x 1/4" BSP Parallel.

You can put a Tapered Male Fitting in a Parallel Female Fitting. But not a Parallel Male into a Tapered Female. (BS21)

Baz

Reply to
Baz

Cheers Baz, 11690 is the one i'd need. A local place has found that kind of thing but its a parallel thread. Thing is it fits and would prob be ok with some ptfe. So presumably the female I have is parallel which means it would never actually tighten.

Reply to
Brass Monkey

As I said. Parallel will be fine (BS21 Allows this) , use PTFE tape, the Tapered part of the Male fitting makes the seal.

Baz

Reply to
Baz

I had this in my email this morning.

CANNON BALLS !!! DID YOU KNOW THIS ? It was necessary to keep a good supply of cannon balls near the cannon on old war ships. But how to prevent them from rolling about the deck was the problem. The best storage method devised was to stack them as a square based pyramid, with one ball on top, resting on four, resting on nine, which rested on sixteen. Thus, a supply of 30 cannon balls could be stacked in a small area right next to the cannon. There was only one problem -- how to prevent the bottom layer from sliding/rolling from under the others. The solution was a metal plate with 16 round indentations, called, for reasons unknown, a Monkey. But if this plate were made of iron, the iron balls would quickly rust to it. The solution to the rusting problem was to make them of brass - hence, Brass Monkeys. Few landlubbers realize that brass contracts much more and much faster than iron when chilled. Consequently, when the temperature dropped too far, the brass indentations would shrink so much that the iron cannon balls would come right off the monkey. Thus,it was quite literally, cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey.

Baz

Reply to
Baz

LOL, that's terrific :)