Connecting 22mm to the gas meter

Hi,

Currently I have an old iron pipe connected to my gas meter, this is being replaced with 22mm copper to the new boiler.

It looks like I need a "Tap Connector" like this to achieve this

that sound like a reasonable item?

Then, In order to seal the connection on the meter (The olive should seal to the 22mm by it's self I am assuming) Do I need to apply some of this?

(Fernox Jointing Compound)

Or should I use PTFE tape, or something else!?

Thanks!

Reply to
Toby

Toby coughed up some electrons that declared:

Hi,

It's good to ask, but...

please read this first:

's a bit of background there. I think I would caution against doing the yourself unless you feel quite sure, but if you do, the FAQ has some useful guides for testing the installation afterwards to prove there are no leaks.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Thanks for the link, I will have a god read!

I have a manometer, so I will make sure I am leak free!

On lookjng at the existing installation, I think I actually need one of these, rather than a "tap connector"

Toby

Toby coughed up some electrons that declared:

Stick around - there are some CORGI fellows here sometimes as well as some other folk who know what they are doing...

Reply to
Tim S

Ahem! This /is/ a troll, isn't it? :-)

Tap connectors are for taps, for water, not for gas and therefore not an approved fitting for gas and therefore illegal (and reportable under RIDDOR to the HSE who will promptly do .... nothing, probably)

Reply to
YAPH

So not the way to go!

It sounds like you need a proper BSP pipe connector to compression adaptor. These will typically seal on the threads, and you can use the gas version of PTFE to assist in getting a good seal.

Reply to
John Rumm

Good, this is exactly why I have posted the question, instead of just jumping in here...

The meter has a flexable metal pipe between the outlet and the old iron piping, this has a captive nut on, just like the "tap connector" does, this is why I thought this was the correct fitting.

I have had a better look at the connections, and what Screwfix has to offer, and think I mught have identified the correct fitting nowl...

you confirm my thoughts here?

Also, is this

(Fernox Jointing Compound) the correct thing to apply to the thread to seal it

Just to put your mind at rest, I will be getting a Corgi mate of mine in to check what I propose doing before I actually do anything. I am just trying to learn, and get the bits and pieces ready...

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

Compression fittings like that are intended for water, and I'm pretty sure that they're not approved for gas.

You need a fitting where the 22mm pipe connection is a *solder* joint rather than compression. The other end (3/4" BSP female thread) is often referred to as "female iron" - even though it's made of brass.

So you need to look for a 22mm solder ring (or capillary) to 3/4 Female Iron elbow - something like BES product 9240. You can find it at

but site navigation isn't wonderful!

Reply to
Roger Mills

It is perfectly in order to use the compression female iron on gas (so long as it is readily accessible). Saves having to remove and cap gas meter whilst soldering too.

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

You can use compression on gas as well... not pushfit though!

Reply to
John Rumm

Are you talking about the connection to the outlet side of the gas meter? These are fittings to BS 64 (IIRC). Available from the better plumbers' merchants, also known as 10-light fittings.

Anyway the person who is doing the job will know what to use, what's more the existing meter will have an outlet fitting to 3/4" or 1" BSP whcih can then be converted to 22m with a suitable which is NOT a tap connector.

Reply to
Ed Sirett