Grundfos home booster

OK I was reading a thread the other day and it mentioned the Grundfos home booster pump and another make, which was out of my price range, and they seemed to be just what I was looking for to boost the pressure to the shower upstairs. I have now bought the Grundfos. Couple of questions if I may as no fitting instructions included, suppose it meant to be straight forward but forgive the ignorance.

1, it looks to me like I need a 15mm - 1/2" tap connector to screw onto the fittings they supply. That means that I then have to go from that to a 22mm pipe via 15-22 reducer. Could I get away with buying 3/4 tap connector and bolting this straight to the pump? It has to be a flat fit to the pump so guessing that this is no good as they have a lip to go into the tap. Just seems daft to me if I have to go down to 15mm just to bring it straight back to 22 again. Fittings supplied are, Connection 3/4" BSPM Inclusive fitting 1/2" BSPFunion set. the pump can tec. details can be found at
$FILE/UPA%2015-90%2005%2003.pdf2. can they be mounted horizontal or vertical?
  1. does it have to be wired to a FCU or can I whack a plug on it. What fuse rating, 5amp?

Thanks for any help as was going to fit in the morning!

-- snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.co.uk take off your trousers to e-mail me

Reply to
simon beer

"simon beer" wrote in news:41c33270$1 snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com:

I don't know why Grunfos supply those fittings, they're just confusing.

I may have these details a bit wrong because Norm next door *gave* me the bits, but here goes.

The pump comes with a 3/4 bsp thread, they supplu adapters to 1/2 bsp, so you need a 1/2 bsp to 15mm compression convertor.

Then you go back up to 22mm.

OR

get 3/4 bsp to 22mm compression convertors and nail it straight in.

I hope the pump is powerful enough for a shower, it works a treat for my kitchen sink, and is totally silent.

mike

Reply to
mike ring

c3efdd43bfa180256e0f00563537/$FILE/UPA%2015-90%2005%2003.pdf

If you're connecting it into 22mm pipe, forget about the 3/4" to 1/2" adapters supplied.

You then need 3/4" female BSP to 22mm compression fittings. The 3/4" fitting needs to seal on the flat face, with a washer. Not all tap connectors have spigots - some are flat and would be ok. You might even consider short flexible pipes either side of the pump. I have just bought two braided flexible tap connectors from BES to re-plumb my bath taps. These have a flat face at the 3/4" BSP end, a 19mm bore, and a 22mm compession fitting the other end.

Reply to
Set Square

"Set Square" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

I just used Fernox sealer, otherwise I'd have used a lot of tape, but the LS-x is a lot easier

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Me neither, why not just give you somthing that goes to 22mm pipe seems as it going to a hot system which is predominantly 22mm.

I hope so too, thought it worth a try for the money as I only want a bit more omph to the head of the shower because it starting to go back up hill again.The 1 down stairs got plenty of power for what we want.

Thanks for the replys, I now feel vindicated in asking!!

Reply to
simon beer

"simon beer" wrote in news:41c36d76 snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com:

I forgot to mention, since you have no instructions,

The unit should be mounted with the pump spindle horizontal or the bearings wiil fail (although my similar Grundfos C/H pump, installed before I bought the hovel, went about 10 years before I mounted it correctly this summer in my refettling)

It should not be mouted with the electric connector underneath. I don't know if thats the zillion to one chance the electrics will flood, or that the flow switch might not work in that position.

I tested it, and it does work, as I was sorely tempted, it was just the way I wanted to mount it.

In the end I did it their way

mike

Reply to
mike ring