floorboards

Hello,

I've lifted some of the floorboards on my landing but they seem fractionally thinner than the 18mm ones available in the big name DIY stores. Is this an effect of metrification? Are slightly thinner boards still available, it would save me planing new ones to size?

Thanks.

Reply to
nospam

Then go to a woodyard.

Reply to
George

Most timber merchants will plane them for you if you take a sample. Doesn't cost a lot IIRC

Reply to
Stuart Noble

For many decades conventional floorboards were 1" thick as saw, then planed, ending up about 7/8" (22.2mm). Some 'more modern' houses had

3/4" (19.05mm) tongue and groove boarding, so you could have either.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

If the new boards are thicker it is only necessary to plain the underside of the new ones where they contact the joist. Yes; planing across the grain ain't nice but it was often done and its out of sight.

Reply to
1501

He said they're thinner,since they want raising,pieces of lino under were they rest on the joist

Reply to
George

My perception was he wanted some more boards that matched his existing ones that were thinner.

Reply to
1501

You can get 15mm boards from some places - B&Q value ones used to be

15mm I think. Phone around - someone will have them. A
Reply to
auctions

Sorry if I was not clear, just to clarify: the boards that are already down (c. 30 years old?) are thinner than the ones in the shops now, so I need to hunt for some thinner ones else plane the new ones down to size.

Reply to
nospam

You mean less wide not thinner?

Reply to
Mogga

Easier to use a router.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But easier still to get them the right thickness in the first place. It's a five minute job for the timber merchant and a PITA for you, which ever method you use.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

No. He means thinner, not less wide. He has taken up a board that is n metres long by (say) 120mm wide by 16mm thick. He can easily buy a

120mm x 18mm plank in the shops, but that would stick up above the general floor level.

The suggests are

- Go to a wood yard and get it planed down.

- Buy the thicker board and plan it down (across the grain) where it crosses the joists.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Unless you need an excuse to buy a thicknesser, in which case it is a five minute job for you as well! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

And have the room to use one

, in which case it is a

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Should not be too excessive for floorboards - twice the board length.

Reply to
John Rumm

Where I live that's excessive

Reply to