Laying new floorboards

Hi Everyone

I want to replace the floorboards in an upstairs bedroom as they are in poor condition. The only problem is the floorboards run under a stud wall. I lifted a couple of boards and the stud wall is not built on a joist !! Is it possible to remove the floorboards from under the wall and relay new ones ?? Or should I cut the boards tight to the wall. If I cut the boards tight to the wall, will the boards still be strong enough to support the wall ??

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sean

Reply to
Sean

That's a bit of a psser. The base plate of the stud wall is probably fastened to the floorboards, too, but if you're lucky, by panel pins (I have seen this). Why are you replacing the boards - do you want the new boards exposed, or what?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Was going to lay tongue and groove boards and just varnish them. I'm not sure how the stud wall is constructed, it seems to be some sort of lightweight block and wood. The house is probably about 60 years old.

Reply to
Sean

Are the cut boards strong enough to support the wall as the cut will be between two joists ?

Reply to
Sean

I have this construction also, and did the same.

1930 Semi with precursor to breeze blocks for upstairs partitions. I cut the boards flush with the wall, to leave them on the original boards and relaid new up to them, skirting covers the join. Not really a problem.

-- Mike W

Reply to
VisionSet

I'd be a bit wary of leaving a wall sitting on the flapping ends of floorboards. Why not just put new boards over the top, you can get them quite thin nowadays so that there's not much of a step up into the room (about 3/8ths)

Reply to
Phil L

I'd be looking at replacing the boards both sides of the wall, at least as far as the next joist. Don't remove all at once before inserting the new, though! You may have trouble removing the old boards from the wall if they are screwed to the footplate. If nailed, you should be able to lever any attached boards off and hammer the nail back into the wall. The footplate can be attached to the new boards by skew nailing from either side through the footplate.

I would think not.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Turning round to look at it now, I see that it is just a 1mtr section that is affected, the joists run perpendicular to the wall, the boards obviously parallel. The nailing suggests that the wall ends are 'hanging' over the last joists by 3" & 6". Though as I said the original board is in there. This was done about 5 years ago and there is absolutely no cracking to the original plain painted decoration of that time.

-- Mike W

Reply to
VisionSet

How about cutting the boards flush then putting bits of board underneath and fixing them on both sides?

Reply to
Rob Morley

Lay the new boards over the top of the old?

Reply to
Steve Walker

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I might give Christian suggestion a try and replace the boards under the wall to the next joist. I think this will provide better support for the stud wall.

Cheers

Reply to
Sean