floor tiles to carpet

I have laid ceramic floor tiles in my bathroom and need a threshold strip across the door into the carpeted hall. I have not seen ant threshold strips designed for tile-carpet. How is this done, then??..any ideas??

Reply to
Lawrence Zarb

On 19 Oct 2003, Lawrence Zarb wrote

There are a couple of ways of handling it, I think.

I'm fairly certain you can buy wooden threshold bars that are straight on both sides, and also ones with a rebate/lip on one side and a straight side on the other. (The guys who installed a wood floor in our front hall used one like this between the hall and the sitting-room carpet.)

I don't think you'll find one one that has an "in-built" gripper for the carpet -- the carpet side gets treated like a regular edge against a wall -- with a nailed-down gripper strip -- either against a flat side or with a rebate for the threshold bar to overlap the edge of the carpet.

In our case -- tile to carpet -- I did handled this by making up a threshold out of a mahogany off-cut, with a rebate to go over the (separately-gripped) carpet, and grouting up against the other side towards the tile.

Hope this helps to give you ideas....

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

Assuming the tile finishes in the middle of the door leaf or on the bathroom side. The work round now is: a Gradus cliptop trim that will cover both the edge of the ceramic tiles and the carpet (very important as the edges of the tiles are liable to break otherwise.) The correct procedure is to lay a "L" shaped metal bar under the edge of the tile and the same depth of the tile and adhesive. The carpet is then butted straight to the bar.

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Williams

We spent a while trying to figure how to threshold between a tiled hall, and carpeted stairs going down. We ended up using a transition bought from a local carpet shop. It was an open rectangle cross section, side on, that was fixed to the floor (actually ply preparation for the tiles) and had carpet gripper teeth in the channel. The other side was a flat edge that we tiled and grouted up to. It's given a very nice finish, with only a very narrow (maybe 1cm) strip visible, although it was probably most suited to the order we had to do things (carpet first, before tiling).

Reply to
MarkM