Floor paint

Son has built this huge 3-car+ garage/workshop on the piece of his garden where I used to park my big boat trailer. :-( :-(

The new concrete floor is dusty, so he has asked me about painting it.

I see there is polyurethane in 20 litre tins on ebay for ?45 to ?55. They say brush, roller or spray.

Has anyone used these no-name paints? Might spraying be an option? I have an Aldi compressor and the spray kit they sell for use with it, but it all seems a bit tiny compared with the size of the job.

Any advice?

Reply to
Bill

I bought a 5l tub of Febco[1] concrete sealer many years ago as it was a lot cheaper than paint and it worked well to reduce dust.

[1] I only remember the name as the label fell off so I had to write what it was on the side of the bottle!
Reply to
Scott M

After trying a few different products for my factory floors, I eventually standardised on International garage floor paint, applied with a long handled 12" wide roller. It lasted at least as long as a professionally applied epoxy floor finish.

Reply to
Nightjar

Yup roller or brush, you need to get it into the pores and nice and thick and glumpy. Smells a bit so plenty of ventilation unless you want a n out of body experience. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I just brushed on some red concrete paint years ago amnd it did the job and kept the dust down

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What happened to good old fashioned PVA?

I didn't think Dulux floor paint was much more expensive?

Reply to
Fredxxx

I've recently had excellent help and service from Watco and would heartily recommend them ...

After a lot of looking around I opted for their epoxy paint and am very pleased (if somewhat poorer) with the result. Previously I've used cheaper B&Q paint and this Watco epoxy stuff is in a different performance league, but it's not cheap.

Reply to
nomail

Research waterglass (sodium silicate) and concrete surface treatment.

Reply to
FMurtz

I had Watco epoxy paint on one of my factory floors. It was good, but I found it didn't last any longer than the International garage floor paint I mentioned elsewhere in this thread and the latter was quite a lot cheaper.

Reply to
Nightjar

I did and got this article:

which found little or no improvement using Sodium Silicate in most instances.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Did not wish to start an in depth discussion on hardening concrete which was not the question,the poster said his concrete was dusty and should he paint it(which by the way does not harden the concrete) My suggestion was purely a method of sealing to stop dust which could be much cheaper depending on how he sources the waterglass.

Reply to
FMurtz

OK - in the past PVA has been the solution.

I did mention it earlier and surprised no one else have mentioned it.

It's an excellent solution if dust is an issue.

Reply to
Fredxxx