Floor fan won't run?

Try it, you've nothing to lose.

Reply to
Capitol

Fans like to catch fire when they stall.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Which is why I don't leave it on for very long (seconds) when it does that.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I wouldn't leave it on at all, other than during closely watched testing.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Mine has a safety feature in that if you touch the fan cage the motor stops but continues to hum. This feature broke once and the fan just hummed when I switched it on. There was a connection to the frame that had gone open c ircuit. I cant remember the details of how it worked but there was a single connection to the frame and some sort of proximity detector.

Reply to
JohnW

More literal left-brainer translations eh ...? ;-(

I *don't* leave it on, I only have it on long enough to test it (duh).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yes, it's where I keep all your advice and opinions.

Why would I buy my mate a new one? I'd just give it back to him to throw in the electrical recycling skip at the tip?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ooerr. Hmm, often when I've been testing it it's just been resting on the sofa (on it's cage).

Whilst it would be good to think this one had such a feature, I've had it all apart and didn't see anything that looked like it would do that ('electronics' etc). ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m