Floodlight - inhibit daytime operation

I looked at quite a few online, all of which either claimed to have manual override on the advert, or turned out to have it when I downloaded the instruction leaflet. Eventually I found one at Argos (can't remember the brand) that appeared not to have an override. I bought it and, of course, it had the bloody override.

I'd be interested in your Timeguard one if you have any details for it; I still have one more light to put up so I need another PIR without an override. I keep finding things like this:-

or this:-

both of which seem to have a manual override :-(

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

All of the ones I've installed over the years (quite a few different makes) have worked that way.

Obviously you would use a photo-switch,

but use a three position centre off toggle switch to control it, the three positions being

  1. On
  2. Off
  3. Photo-switch control

  1. Unconditionally on.

  1. Unconditionally off.
  2. The light is powered, but via the photo-switch.

You need manual 'on' and 'off' so when you change the lamp you can test it in daylight.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

/I'd be interested in your Timeguard one if you have any details for it; I still have one more light to put up so I need another PIR without an override. I keep finding things like this:- /q

This is what I have:- (this link just the first hit of search)....

Not Timeguard as it happens.

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

JimK wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

But it is operated by two - two-way switches. This is one of the reasons it is not just possible to look at the switch to see if it is off.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

/But it is operated by two - two-way switches. This is one of the reasons it is not just possible to look at the switch to see if it is off. /q

If you go back to & address the source of the problem you won't need to look at the (New labelled) switch to see if it's on or off, as no one will be accidentally turning it on....

Failing that wire something in series with the floodlight but inside so that you can see it:-) Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Our back garden non PIR light is wired to a switch with a neon, so I know if its on or not.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

/Our back garden non PIR light is wired to a switch with a neon, so I know if its on or not. /q

Can one get 2 way neon switches?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

/Can one get 2 way neon switches?

Jim K /q

....to indicate a load is live through 2 way switching? Adam?

:-) Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Yes, if you use a grid switch system

Reply to
charles

You could wire a neon between permanent live and switched live at both lightswitches. And as Charles says this would need some sort of grid switch. This would mean the indiactor light is on when the light is off.

TBH I am not sure if having two neons in parallel bleeding through the 300W lamp would work. It would certainly work if only one neon was used at one of the lightswitches.

Now it there was a neutral at the lightswitches that would be a different matter.

Reply to
ARW

Thanks for that. Looks like a good bet.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

/Thanks for that. Looks like a good bet. /q

Unless they've changed the spec there's no 'bet' about it:-)

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

/Colin Stamp

By the way - where'd you get your 3 position switches from? &/or make/ model plse

Ta Jim K

Reply to
JimK

I used MK grid switches :-

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

/But it is operated by two - two-way switches. This is one of the reasons it

My house still has the 4 big outside lights from when it was a care home. They all have light sensors which stop them coming on in daylight. Perhaps you could fit them to your light.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

"Muddymike" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.com:

I think I might have to go down this route - but in my situation I don't want it to come on automatically. It is the two-way switching that can lead to it being turned on in error and not noticed until actually going tround th eback of the house.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

"Muddymike" wrote in

We don't let ours come on automatically either. We just switch them on when needed. The light sensors do stop them coming on if the switch is thrown in error though.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

I think what you have to do is work out for yourself exactly what conditions you want the control system to achieve. A simple table should be sufficient.

Having done this I suspect that you will then find that won't be able to buy a single piece of kit that will wire into your system and meet your spec.

If I understand the situation, you want to permit the lights to turn on when either of the two-way switches changes state so long as the photocell is already closed.

However, whatever the state of the two-way switches, you do not want the light to turn on at the moment the photocell closes.

This sounds like it needs additional logic.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I am beginning to think an audio warning might be the way to go. At the moment if we think we have accidentally hit the wrong gang of the switch we are likely to go to the back of the house to check it hasn't been put on. Never sure about grandson or other people though!

Reply to
DerbyBorn