Flooding and Shower Trays

Ground floor shower tray in a possible flooding situation. Is there a product readily available that can be put in a shower tray drain to prevent back flow from a possible flood.

Bluebill

Reply to
Bluebill

If it has the old fashioned type of outlet (like mine does) - a simple 11/2" bath plug stuck in the drain hole with a weight on top to stop it lifting under pressure may suffice!

Reply to
Unbeleiver

McAlpine non return valve - T28M - NRV

A well made non return valve compatible with standard compression waste pipe - cost about £6-00p

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Forgot the picture:

Cicero

Wouldn't hair etc tend to catch in the valve and block the pipe at that point during prolonged usage, particularly if there is no pre-filter in the outlet [1]? A good idea though.

[1] The pre-filter in my shower is forever getting blocked with hair (I'm a hairy sod), bits of soap and wood chippings and 'flooding' the shower tray, and I wonder if the non-return valve would do the same - but be a damn site more difficult to clean than the pre-filter.
Reply to
Unbeleiver

There are backflow prevention valves for wastes. Another option is to use something to seal the waste (such as a plug, except they tend to to fit showers), and weigh it down with a brick and a sandbag.

Sandbags are good for blocking off toilets too.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel wibbled on Tuesday 01 December 2009 22:43

It's worth adding that if a ground floor bog is involved, you can get 110mm sized non return valves to protect those too. BES sell them IIRC so they might also have smaller ones.

Reply to
Tim W

Have a look at the picture in my second post. The valve is fitted with the central aperture on top so that the actual moving valve (a fairly solid flap) can be removed and cleaned by removing the screw and plug which is sealed with an 'O' ring.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

For limited head a HepVo trap would work - don't know how much it could handle, though.

Reply to
PeterC

The message from "Unbeleiver" contains these words:

Not to mention wives and daughters who insist on shaving in the shower

Reply to
Appin

Yes a one way flood vallve but will not keep all the water out. good sailing

url:

peter richards