Floating Shelves

Does anyone know how to create floating shelves. I know I can buy them from such as Ikea but is there anywhere I can get the necessary brackets (assuming some special brackets are necessary) so that I can do them myself with wood that matches the rest of the room better.

Thanks

David

Reply to
DCMyers1

The real problem is that most houses don't have the needed headroom to put the flotation balloons.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Saw some in Ikea down in their "market place"

Reply to
Brian G

Dead easy. The hard part is usually attaching them to the wall - an invisible fixing needs a very shallow vertical attachment and that's putting a lot of bending force onto the screws, even if they're into brickwork.

For the shelf itself, I use a steel inner frame - 1" square tube welded to another square box across the back. The shelf slips over these supports. It's made from a sandwich of 6mm MDF top, 4mm MDF bottom and egg-crate construction between (or softwood battens). Leave channels for the steelwork. Hold it on place over the steel with a couple of self-tappers from beneath.

For a plasterboard wall, I'd use a flat steel plate below, above or both. If you chamfer the edges, blend them in with filler, wallpaper and paint over them they're pretty invisible.

Reply to
Andy Dingley