Float valve replacement/repair - sizes actually

The float valve on one of my cisterns doesn't seal properly i.e. there is a small but persistent overflow. So - no problem - I will repair or replace it - but not so! The valve in question is 40 years old. I cannot find any suitable replacement. The brass ones available are labelled 1/2" and 3/4". The former is smaller than the old one. It could be screwed on but comes with far too short an arm. The 3/4" is just too big all round altho' its arm is OK. My old valve has a piston which is 7/8" in diameter - so what diameter is used to specify these things?

The old one leaks [presumably] because the circular seal/pad in the end of the piston is worn and possibly the plastic nozzle on which it seats is worn also. Is it likely I could find replacements for these 2 bits?

All your usual v. helpful replies will be much appreciated. Frank

Reply to
Frank Stacey

Why is the arm too short? Does it foul the syphon?

Long shot, but would the old arm fit the new valve?

Or would the arm from the 3/4" valve fit the 1/2"?

Reply to
Scott M

That is a large diameter for the piston, all the ones I've ever seen are about 1/2" dia. The quoted valve size is the BSP of the connection to the pipe work, 15mm pipe work would normally connect to a 1/2" valve.

The washer probably, even if you have to buy a bigger one a trim it. If the valve is imperial then the cone might be more of a problem.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice