Flexible plastic sheeting

Is there any kind of plastic sheeting that I can buy about 4' by 8' and perhaps less than 1/4" thick so that it bends? I want it for exterior use where it might get wet.
--
Michael Chare

On 19/02/17 09:56, Michael Chare wrote:

Yes. Of course. Damp proof membrane is tough thick black and very flexible.
Otter plastics in other thicknesses are available for e.g. glazing, but you don't really give much clue as to the use.
e.g. here http://www.cutplasticsheeting.co.uk/pvc-sheet/trovidur-ec-white-pvc-sheet
you can get an 8x4 sheet of 1.6mm white UPVC for a tad over £80.
similar prices for
http://www.cutplasticsheeting.co.uk/polypropylene-sheeting/black-polypropylene
3mm black polypropylene
its shoes.
There is some blue coloured stuff like this I'm told on a nearby building where they are fitting an interior lift and its being used to guide rubble from various floors into a skip below and is thick and bendy. The only reason I know about it was that the folk living nearby complain at thee noise of the rubble and the deep crunching of the bendy plastic sheet. It is obviously out there if builders have it in very big sheets indeed. Brian
--
----- -

Thanks for all the replies. I should have explained the use.
I want to put it under a dinghy boat cover.
The idea is that it should be stiff enough so that when it rains water runs off instead of forming a large puddle as usually happens at the moment.
The alternative would be some sort of wooden frame to better support a cover.
--
Michael Chare

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 14:37:22 +0000, Michael Chare

Is it a sailing dinghy or a tender to a motor boat? If the former you tend to use them when it is a bit breezy and ssheet of plastic may not be the easiest thing to handle or leave lying about. I'd go with the frame. needn't be too complicated . Think of some bits of wood shaped like large coat hangers but in two sections that slightly overlap. Where they overlap drill holes through and pass a bit of line through them , something like plastic coated washing line but if you are into sailing you will have something lying about. The other ends the wooden parts where they rest on the gunnels you will have to work out depending on its shape , a couple of notches may do. use the line under tension tied to the ends of the dinghy to hold the wood pieces up and support your existing cover in a tent shape.
G.Harman
On 2/19/2017 4:20 PM, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

+1.
Another thing you might consider are the fibreglass poles which are used in domed or cylindrical tents. Braced between two suitable points to make an arch, perhaps fitted to a wooden frame which sits inside the boat. Not sure if you can buy them "loose", I have a few salvaged from dead tents.
On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 14:37:22 +0000, Michael Chare

If the boat can't be stored upside down, another typical solution to the cover-pond is to put the bow up on something with the stern just touching the ground. That was all we had on the 14' Leader sailing dinghy and as long as you kept the stern drain plugs out, any slight cover leakage didn't become an issue.

On a small goods trailer I had similar problems with I 3d printed some angle sections ends that would take the green plastic covered steel 'mock bamboo' poles, acting as longitudinal supports so with a slight tilt on the trailer, little pudding would occur.

What material is the existing cover made of as some don't like having something rubbing on the inside of them?
Cheers, T i m
On 19/02/2017 14:37, Michael Chare wrote:

Wooden or plastic boat? Does it have a mast?
I have no real trouble with puddles in my cover. Water gets into the boat around the mast, so I leave the bailers open (it's ashore). No puddles because the boom acts as a ridge pole holding the cover up in the middle.
You could perhaps use an oar and some gallows to hold a tender's cover up. You want something that looks like a tent.
A wooden boat will HATE an impermeable undercover - it will 'sweat' with condensation which is bad for the paint & varnish.
Andy
On 19/02/2017 14:37, Michael Chare wrote:

How about a frame, like they use in gardens, to drab the cover over? A bit of wide mesh fencing may do the job.

Just a thought. Costco offer quite a range of plastic self assembly sheds in various sizes, priced 6-700 pounds including VAT and delivery. May be a longer term solution?
--
Graeme

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 09:56:21 +0000, Michael Chare

How flexible is flexible, and how transparent do you want it? Plastics by Post do rolls of thin melinex as part of a secondary double glazing kit; they may supply the rolls separately without the tape if you ask http://www.plasticsbypost.co.uk/secondary-glazing-kit-small-1223-p.asp
These people do quite large sheets of acrylic, scroll down to see different sizes or thicknesses, but not cheap for the larger sizes http://www.pvccladding.com/products/clear-acrylic-sheet-547/
--

Chris

On 19/02/2017 09:56, Michael Chare wrote:

Several kinds, clear acrylic, coloured, possibly uVPC boards, shower panels, ...... try a Google in your area, postage will be a killer.

Are you looking for coloured, or clear? I bought a sheet of 8 by 4 clear, about the thickness of hardboard, and about as flexible. I needed four lengths each 8 x 1, so the supplier cut it, and I received four pieces of the perfect size. Easy to trim with a hand (tenon) saw, and easy to drill, at slow speed.
Can't remember where I bought it, but just Google clear plastic sheet.
--
Graeme

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 09:56:21 +0000, Michael Chare

Butyl rubber pond lining.
On 19/02/17 09:56, Michael Chare wrote:

Many useful suggestions already. But whatever you decide on, particularly if it gets sun on it, make sure that it's UV stabilised.
--

Jeff

On 19/02/2017 09:56, Michael Chare wrote:

Wickes PVCu Clear Corrugated Sheet 660 x 2400mm
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-PVCu-Clear-Corrugated-Sheet-660-x-2400mm/p/240152
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

On Sunday, 19 February 2017 09:56:25 UTC, Michael Chare wrote:

Google :- Recycled plastic boards
There's lots of stuff that replaces timber and ply but doesn't rot. Saws, screws etc. just like wood.
Eg http://www.ecosheetuk.co.uk/