Black plastic sheeting to control weeds

I recently planted my vegetable garden using a product from Home Depot which is a black plastic sheeting (actually it may be woven of some sort of fiber material) It has a dull side and a shiny side. It is held down by 6 inch long staples that you push into the soil. It is supposed to prevent the growth of weeds. You cut an X in it to plant the plants. I have soaker hoses underneath it. Any advice on the proper use of this product? Is it necessary to cover over it with bark mulch or wood chips? Thanks. Jay S.

Reply to
Jay Stalman