Flat rate electricity like water?

Most of which are east of the 100th meridian.

Note the qualifier 'freshwater'.

It's more than eight times as large but at 27% salinity nothing lives in it but brine shrimp.

Reply to
rbowman

That used to be the case, but presumably it isn't so anymore, as off peak isn't as cheap as it used to be. 30 years ago my parents had "economy 7" or some such name, and night time electricity was THREE times cheaper. 5 years ago I had Eco 20:20 which was only 20% cheaper at nights and weekends. Nowadays, although I could still get that, it's cheaper to just have the same rate all day and night. Maybe they've got better at turning power stations on and off?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Right. Even the people from the eastern US don't understand western water law. It has evolved for more than 100 years to settle water disputes with something other than deadly weapons.

Look at a map of the world. People either live where there is abundant water or spend huge amounts to bring it in from someplace else like the Califoria system of aqueducts, reservoirs, and pumping stations.

Too much water can be a problem, too. Consider Doggerland.

Reply to
rbowman

I flush as needed and wash my car too. It is cheap enough to use what I want freely and I don't subsidize the gluttons.

There are two of us. Why should I pay for a family of 8 that fills their pool and over waters their lawn?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Why have a meter for that? Pay per person in the household. You'd pay a quarter of what they do.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Pay by meter. There is a minimum charge too. I pay about $200 per quarter.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I asked WHY pay by meter. You're paying for the meter maintainence and reading.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Flat rate means you might be subsidizing someone else.  Stupid idea.

Reply to
Quirky

Because it's accurate. Meter reading is done remotely in my area. There isn't anyone walking through yards dodging ugly dogs. Water is metered and so is electricity. A lot of the irrigation wells in my area are powered by commercial electric power. Those are on load control for the most part. Farmers pay different rates based on how much load control the utility can exercise. A farmer who is shut off for two days pays less than a farmer who is shut off for a day. The wells are typically shut down from about 10 AM to about

10 PM. That's when the air conditioners in offices and homes are working at their peak.
Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Sounds like you're running in a country with f*ck all resources.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Nope, my water is paid for by the value of my house. Big house, more water, more money, bigger rates.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

We just watched what happens when people don't conserve and use common sense. Irrigation season lasts about two months here. Why should the utilities build generation power for that seasonal load? It would cost a lot more money. We've seen what happened in Texas with the over use of water. The water tables dropped a bunch. Wells ran dry. We have meters on the irrigation wells. There are rules in place to regulate irrigation if the water tables drop to a certain level. A farmer will be able to use X amount of water over three years if regulation becomes necessary.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

JWS is either a moron who has never heard of the tragedy of the commons, or a troll who has and doesn't care. Either way, why are you giving him what he wants, which is some attention in his sad and pathetic excuse for a life?

Reply to
Huge

applause!

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

You have to admit he incites more rational discussion than his detractors.

Reply to
Frank

The dullest knife in the drawer is a total flaming idiot. Put him in the bit-bucket where he belongs.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

At least he is humorous unlike Bod who found his way to my grease trap after one too many whines. He's in good company with traitor_4 and pigeon_ass.

Reply to
rbowman

He already has, but like yours it doesn't work and he still sees replies.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

+1
Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Because when something is "free" it's not conserved. Not everyone has an unlimited, cheap, water supply. Do they meter gasoline ("petrol") on your side of the pond?

Reply to
krw