Flat battery

Of course. But *really* not easy to engineer. Also, I'm reminded of the FB post that points out that car handbooks used to tell you how to adjust the valves. Now they tell you not to drink the battery acid.

Reply to
newshound

But can it be made economic? Given the reliability of modern day starting systems and the complexity of adding decompressors etc, why would you add all that cost/complexity if all that was needed was a pair of jump leads?

Even diesels these days probably need enough power to run an ECU to fire them up so simply cranking a diesel with a dead battery probably won?t bring you much joy.

Just because something is technically possible doesn?t make it economically viable.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

That's because the young ones are as thick as pig shit.

I told the new starter to f*ck off and sit down in an office out of my way.

Two minutes later I found him wandering around looking for me because he had forgot what I asked him to do.

Reply to
ARW

Oh you are a monster!

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Yes. Sort of like all the daft things being done in the name of global warming then.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

ROFL!

Reply to
newshound

I had one of those levers on my "high compression" 197cc Villiers motorbike engine c1952.

I guess folk in those days were lighter.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Quite a miracle having a valve lifter on a two-stroke, I'd say. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I'd never come across that either. Now on 500 British singles, that's another matter.

(Vincent twins were beyond my budget in the 60's and 70's, but my would they have been a good investment)

Reply to
newshound

Perhaps not a ?valve lifter? but it might well have had a decompressor valve.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

More likely advance/retard

Reply to
Bob Eager

On a Villiers 197? I guess they might have had that on the Greaves or Cotton scramblers, but surely they were 250 or more.

Reply to
newshound

I?m more inclined to think that Anthony knows what was fitted to his engine, even if he perhaps didn?t use the correct term.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

That engine had a 'decompressor'

And no 'valves' IIRC - used a side port induction and crankcase transfer ports I think.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

See this parts list. ?Cylinder head with release valve?.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

villiers 9E bikes decompressor valve on the trials bikes for going down muddy hill not locking the rear wheel

Reply to
Mark

I only do about 3K miles /year and only 1,200 miles last year and no problems at all, BUT, when I use it, it will be for a journey of at least 10 miles there and back, and generally double that amount.

Driving half a mile and back to the supermarket once or twice a week is going to kill a battery and if it has stop/start technology then that is really going to hammer it, if that short trip involves traffic lights and queues.

Get rid of it and buy a Corolla hybrid, or a proper EV.

Reply to
Andrew

If you look carefully at this chaps right arm, then I suspect he has started a few kicking-back engines

Andrew

A bit like Toby then ?

Reply to
Andrew

If that was a Villiers 9E then it was the standard engine for Class IV karts in the 60's. But 2-stroke !!??

Reply to
Andrew