Fixing Skirting , the third way

Yet another thread I'm afraid.
Basically I don't want to use gripfill as I would like the convenience of
being able to remove the skirting, and don't want to screws as that makes a
mess of the face. So is there a third way of fixing?
My crazed brain is playing with the idea of making groves with a dovetail
bit, then fixing coach bolts of an appropriate size so the board slots down
onto the wall, but surely someone has made a commercial fixing to have the
same effect?
Cheers
Steve
Reply to
Steve
================================== Something like this:
would have to be very accurate in spacing the opposing parts to ensure that they all lined up correctly.
If you want to make your own on a much larger scale you could use a joddler to create the same effect:
Reply to
Cicero
In my house (1960s) some of the original skirting is fixed in a a way I have never seen before but which meets your requirements. Nails are embedded in the plaster pointing into the room and projecting about 8mm above the surface of the plaster. The skirting board has then been impaled onto these.
Robert
Reply to
RobertL
I wonder what your difficulty with screws is ? I use slotted brass screws for my skirting mainly because screws enable me to get the skirting to fit the wobbly walls in my old house, and also take up the inevitable bows etc. that occur in modern timber.
Certainly most of my skirting is stained and lightly varnished so brass screws do not show up particularly unless you hunt for them, but even if you are going to paint, how often does anyone look at the skirting and how obvious is a small screw head ? OK you know it is there but actually no one else will, and you do have the comfort of knowing that you can take the skirting off easily if required.
Go on, use screws - you know it makes sense ! It is the KISS solution.
Rob
Reply to
robgraham
I just noticed that IKEA do skirting that is fixed on with these clips:
skirting comes in 2m lengths, with different finishes available, e.g.
interesting, never tried it though.
Reply to
sconemad
I use screws but recess them and fill on top before painting. By putting the screws near the top of the board you can get a nice tight fit onto irregular walls.
Robert
Reply to
RobertL
You might be right, I'll try a few bits to see how it looks, I was just hoping that someone had come up with a magic 3rd solution.
Do you leave the screwhead flush with the surface, or recess it in slightly?
Steve
Reply to
Steve
I've never tried any of these, just ideas to add to the mix...
2 part metal clips used to hang kitchen units. These or velcro would both need recessing so the skirting sits flush to the wall. 3rdly there is blobs of silicone, enough to hold it properly and little enough to allow it to be pulled off when needed. Maybe try on some scrap to judge how much.
NT
Reply to
meow2222
It looks more like trunking than skirting :) Anyway if I wanted white I wouldn't worry about screws as the paint would cover it.
I have everything in wood and all cut to size, I guess a little experimentation is in order.
Steve
Reply to
Steve
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 08:01:07 GMT, Steve wrote:
skirting fixed with gripfill isnt difficult to remove
hth
bandido
Reply to

Site Timeline Threads