Fixing a rad to thin air

Gentlemen,

I slightly exaggerate, but not by much. I have to hang a rad to that lino-esque stuff you find more and more used in bathrooms these days. I *think* it's called panelboard. Anyway, it's about 12mm thick ply with a waterproof decorative veneer on top; comes in large sheets you just stick to the walls with qik-grab-goo IIRC. Anyway, where I have to fix this rad, there's no actual wall of any description behind the mounting points, so this panelling will have to bear the weight by itself. Fortunately this isn't a big or heavy rad (only around 20lb I would guess). What sort of fixings would be best to use for this job?

cheers, cd.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Toggle screws

Reply to
Eednud

Just ordinary chipboard screws should be fine in 12mm ply. Or, yes, toggle bolts.

Reply to
stuart noble

You may get a decent screw fixing into the the ply - so I would try that first. Failing that, hollow wall anchors (which are way better than toggle bolts IMO)

Reply to
John Rumm

Should be similar in strength to plasterboard if if is 12mm.

What about:

(Wickes sell them, so do Amazon).

If the panel itself is strong enough, those will get a very solid fixing in it.

Another option - a bit of 18mm WBP ply spanning the studs and fix to that?

Reply to
Tim Watts

I don't see these helping; I've no access to the rear of the panel!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

And nor do you need any - have another look!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Sold! I just happen to have a pack of those, too. I'd quite forgotten! Thanks, John.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Oh. I see. I think. Bet they're expensive, though!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Not seen these before but the installation instructions raised a wee smile

"With a small screwdriver, rotate both locking arm shafts in a CLOCKWISE direction for approximately 124 degrees......... "

Reply to
CB

Floor fittings?

Then just tie it to the wall to stopp wobble. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Not too bad. And you need 4 (ie a packet) - small price compared to the rad (unless you got that free).

Reply to
Tim Watts

I recently came across these:

(or similar) and found them useful and easy to fix.

Reply to
Peter Johnson