Fixing 12mm plasterboard over 60mm celotex

Do I just use 4" screws or there a better method? The p/b is for a ceiling i.e. into rafters. Thank you

Reply to
nafuk

4 Watt.

I heard that; pardon?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Why is the celotex so thick?? You should be usiing the 60mm in betweeb the raftera and then a 20/30mm over the top. You can then use 50mm plasterboard screws.

Regards

Steve Dawson

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

If you must use insulation of this thickness under the rafters then your only option may be to use long screws, but you may have difficulty setting them all neatly at the right depth - partly because screws at that length won't be bugle head ones like normal drywall screws. You can also expect to do more damage to the surrounding PB with the much larger gauge screws.

As others have commented it is more usual to have the bulk of the thickness between the rafters and a thinner sheet under them.

Reply to
John Rumm

try reading the original subject line....

Reply to
John Rumm

You can much reduce the damage by predrilling holes in the pb. Or if you've got all century, turning the screws into bugle heads with a grinder.

Dont forget to paint the heads before skimming to avoid rust.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Maybe I was too subtle. I hope the OP at least, was able to get the point of my post.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Thank you for the replies. Rafters are only 75mm thick and so only had room for 25mm between them in order to leave a 50mm air gap. In hindsight I could have battened them out etc. Will predrill holes for 4" screws. Thank you

Reply to
nafuk

In your exact situation I used 4" large head galvonized clout nails.

Reply to
A Caan

In message , nafuk writes

Screwfix do a range of long reach stand off screws which (I think) are intended to allow battens to be installed either with an air gap or over insulation. (adjustable screws, p19 item 29823-83)

I plan to use them to secure battens over some 50mm Celotex before finishing with some feather edge board.

I'll let you know if tapping in the nails dislodges the battens:-)

You are going to use a lot of 4" screws!

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb