Fitting universal headlight buzzer

Both mine beep annoyingly if you open the drivers door with the lights left on or the keys in the ignition.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

A Fiat Punto I had left the radio on when the ignition was off, which was mildly annoying; to avoid leaving it on I left it off so I didn't have the benefit on a short journey.

Reply to
Max Demian

Thanks for making a bigger fool of yourself. I never mentioned the broken buzzer. Just queried the headlight bit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I did cheat when the forecast was bad for here on Thursday, New Forest, and took the wife's golf to work. Right decision. Was satisfying to see the rear wheel drive cars struggling on inclines. Normal 35-40 minute journey took almost 2 hours. Didn't get a free light show like yours though.

Reply to
Richard

On a RWD you get weight transfer to the rear wheels when going up a hill. Which can negate any advantage a FWD has on the level.

Most RWD these days are larger cars with wide tyres. That may have had more to do with it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh. Sorry. Why then, not respond to the OP that you were only being curious when he posted in response to you?

Sorry should have said. It does have a buzzer but it is broken. Requires the whole instrument cluster to be removed and a new one soldered in which my kill the whole thing. Was thinking this might be simpler.

Reply to
Richard

I had to rev its bollocks off for ages to get the brake failure and anti pollution lights on.

I turned left onto an uphill road whilst driving very gently and then stopped dead. So I thought f*ck it lets burn some rubber.

Reply to
ARW

Wow! I know you're talking about on the level. I was talking about inclines. Perhaps I should have stipulated up a hill. FYI, in the case of AWD, FWD and RWD all will fall off a cliff in a similar manner.

Uh huh. Which is why I used the Golf.

Reply to
Richard

Ah. So the light show was something to relieve the tedium rather than a glitch in the system.

Reply to
Richard

Because there was no need to. It didn't give me information I didn't already know.

Do wonder why the likes of you feel the need to comment on a thread where you obviously know nothing about the question asked.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My freelander behaved as normal.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mine used to do that, and when you took your seatbelt off (e.g. for reversing) an OBDII cable took care of both.

Reply to
Andy Burns

When I bought such a kit (from CPC if I recall correctly), all it consisted of was a small 12V buzzer and instructions to wire it up in the manner you suggest.

Reply to
cpvh

Putting the van in reverse stops the bleeping and in the LWB ones with parking sensors it also turns off the radio.

If I am in the van and driving with no seatbelt the bleeping only starts at 12MPH and lasts 2 minutes. However the workaround is either to plug the left passenger side seatbelt into the drivers seat belt lock (the middle seatbelt does not fit it) or stop the van once the bleeping starts and open and close the passenger door (this will not work if the van is still moving).

Reply to
ARW

Nah, you need track N go ...

Adrian Caspersz

Negligible on most hills.

The other thing is that the engine weight is not on the driven wheels. Mine has the engine over the back wheels, and while it required concentration it kept going. Fat summer tyres and all.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

FWD on a steep hill can be a disadvantage due to weight transfer. You might have to turn the car round and back up the hill. ;-)

But wheel/tyre sizes and ground clearance are more critical. After all most snow ploughs are just ordinary trucks with RWD.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)