Headlight restoration

I am working on restoring one of my headlights that is a little cloudy.

I saw that kits contain different grades of sandpaper, so I bought some

800,1000, and 3000 grit.

I started with the 3000 since my lenses were not real bad.

Used a sprayer of water and went to work.

The water got dark, so it must have removed some material.

When it dried the lens was clearer, but it had small scratches on it.

I used some Nanowax and it filled a lot of the scratches, but it is only temporary.

I found it hard to believe that 3000 grit would leave any visible scratches.

I have found 5000,7000, and 8000 grit sandpaper.

Would one of those NOT leave visible scratches?

Thanks, Andy

Reply to
A K

Just buy the 3m kit for $15. I think Walmart had it. You have to start with a coarse grit, remove all the oxidation layer and any scratches and work up in steps to fine. It works, when done they look really clear.

Reply to
trader_4

  It's not the sandpaper , it's contaminants on the paper . Do the sanding under running water and follow it up with 3M Finesse-it polishing compound .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Agreed. 3000 grit should not display scratches. Constant water flow or a heavy amount of water helps keep debris from sticking to the paper and scratching the sanded material. Of course you can still go higher grit for smoother/clearer finish, but if the same contaminants are present, you'll have the same scratch results. 3000 should suffice, then a good polish compound after.

Reply to
Hawk

Or instead of compound, just a good coat of clear - flows out virtually perfectly clear

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Thanks for everyone's help.

Andy

Reply to
A K

You can even use toothpaste to polish plastic lenses. Probably best to use a kit that has polish and a finish to help maintain clarity whose lose is due to grit and sunlight. Scotty Kilmer talks about cheap plastics in German cars and appears that they are amongst those using lenses without anti UV and scratch coatings.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I used Meguires Rubbing compound. It covered the scratches.

Andy

Reply to
A K

In the past I was familiar with the formulas for scratch resistant acrylics. I think most of the hazing is due to grit like sand dust in the air and assume the kits supplied to restore lenses contain something like this.

I had an old Seiko watch with an acrylic lens and used toothpaste on it.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I used Meguires on an older model Volvo.

Some improvement, not enough to be worth the effort, and it didn't last.

If the cloudiness is deep enough you'll never get enough off to make much difference.

Reply to
TimR

My experience universally...

Reply to
dpb

The Meguires kit as I see here contains protector finish maybe there are better.

invalid unparseable

I plan on a clear coat, but an application of Seafoam lasts about a month.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I would be reticent to try this. Acrylic is soluble in many organic solvents which could craze or otherwise ruin the lens.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Clear, what?

Reply to
croy

Clear coat I think Clare was clear.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Get some of the good old GI bug juice and it will melt the front end off the car along with the headlights.

Reply to
rbowman

clear laquer or any other clear non-yellowing finish

Reply to
Clare Snyder

A guy called to me from a nearby car.

Because my right tire has been low a few times, I thought that's what he was warning me about.

But no, so since I have a scratch on the left fender, I thought he was offering to fix that, even though he was on the right side of the car.

But no, he was offering to polish my headlight plastic. He wanted $100 to do one side, and iiuc $400 to do the whole front, but the only thing I have in the front are the headlights and little fog lights and there is never any fog.

So I'm thinking about doing it myself and paying me $200. When warm weather comes.

Reply to
micky