Fitting shower elbow

Hi All

I have a threaded elbow in the wall and need to fit the shower hose connect or using a threaded bar. I have out a load of gas grade PTFE tape on the th read hoping that it would seal tightly when I screw it in. I can't screw it all the way in as the connector would be facing the wrong way.

It is fairly tight going in but can easily do it by hand. Testing it seems to be ok but now fearfully that any leak might be going into the wall and t herefore not visible. There is a rubber seal between the connector and the facing plate and I have siliconed around the face plate.

Any better suggestions about how to fit it or ensure it is not leaking?

Thanks

Lee

Reply to
leenowell

Fit a second washer?

Reply to
alan_m

I prefer Boss White to PTFE.

Reply to
GB

Thanks.. Is boss white a putty type stuff? Do you just put it on and then let "set"

Reply to
leenowell

It is a putty, just put it on and it should seal straight away - or not.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I just find it seals the thread better than PTFE tape. It's messier to use, which I guess is why PTFE tends to be preferred.

Reply to
GB

When I was an apprentice the plumber I was with tried many times to stop a joint on the cold water tank in the loft leaking using jointing paste. He was very old school, he was meticulous but was getting a bit flummoxed. I suggested PTFE tape. It worked. I did not even get a "good idea, well done" from him. But I did get a dirty look.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

One I fitted recently is a tap connector - parallel thread to seal against a washer at the open end of the thread, so you can orient it any way you like.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I thought you were the oldest school possible.

That's because you're an arrogant shit.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword