Fitting shower elbow

Hi All
I have a threaded elbow in the wall and need to fit the shower hose connect or using a threaded bar. I have out a load of gas grade PTFE tape on the th read hoping that it would seal tightly when I screw it in. I can't screw it all the way in as the connector would be facing the wrong way.
It is fairly tight going in but can easily do it by hand. Testing it seems to be ok but now fearfully that any leak might be going into the wall and t herefore not visible. There is a rubber seal between the connector and the facing plate and I have siliconed around the face plate.
Any better suggestions about how to fit it or ensure it is not leaking?
Thanks
Lee
On 18/11/2017 11:28, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

Fit a second washer?
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

On 18/11/2017 11:28, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

I prefer Boss White to PTFE.
Thanks.. Is boss white a putty type stuff? Do you just put it on and then let "set"
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote :

It is a putty, just put it on and it should seal straight away - or not.
On 18/11/2017 15:48, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I just find it seals the thread better than PTFE tape. It's messier to use, which I guess is why PTFE tends to be preferred.
GB wrote:

When I was an apprentice the plumber I was with tried many times to stop a joint on the cold water tank in the loft leaking using jointing paste. He was very old school, he was meticulous but was getting a bit flummoxed. I suggested PTFE tape. It worked. I did not even get a "good idea, well done" from him. But I did get a dirty look.

I thought you were the oldest school possible.

That's because you're an arrogant shit.
--
Crazy Laws in towns of the state of Illinois:
The English language is not to be spoken.
     snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk writes:

One I fitted recently is a tap connector - parallel thread to seal against a washer at the open end of the thread, so you can orient it any way you like.
--
Andrew Gabriel