Fitting gas fire without chimmney

I'd like to open up an old fireplace (1900's house) and install a living flame gas fire.

Unfortunately the chimmney stack was taken down sometime in the past, so the chimmney breast now terminates in the roof space and has been slated over (so no trace of it is visible from outside.

Assuming (and I know that's a big 'assuming') that there is an intact chimmney within the house (and which, if so, will probably need lining), is it a realistic option to fit one of these fires, without rebuilding a chimmney stack? Is it possible to simply fit a cowling/vent/flue (?) through the roof tiles? Alternatively, given that the fireplace is on an outside wall (on to the street), would it be an option to break out of the chimmney breast on to the street, say

10 feet up, and fit a flue there instead, in the wall of the house?

Or do I buy an electric fire instead? :-(

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

Checkout flu-less gas fires. I think they use a catalytic convertor. A

Reply to
Andy Dee

I was looking at a Faber natural gas fire there recently and for the installation all that is required is a balanced flue through an external wall. The fires are glass fronted. From memory, I think it mentioned a height of 6ft over ground level. I suppose to stop you putting boxes in front of it, or to stop kids from filling it with stones!

I did a quick search, see:

Regards,

Derek.

Reply to
Derek

To reinstate the Class I chimney would be a challenging project.

A balanced or fan assisted gasa fire could be futted if the wall behind the fire place is external.

A flueless fire could also be fitted if the room fairly large and you have a lot of vents added. Such fires are fairly pricey and there is a lmited range of models (AFAIK).

Reply to
Ed Sirett