Fitting Conservatory Blinds

Hi,
I've just bought a comservatory and would like some blinds, just over the windows (not the roof).
I had Hilary's round to quote, and the guy said they would fix them to the upvc frame with 3mm self tapping screws.
I had a look online and found another website that did made to measure self- fit ones, less than half the price of Hilary's. When I phoned this company, the said that Hilary's were a bunch of cowboys, and you should never fix blinds like that as the torque on the upvc would be such that after a few months things would start to work their way loose. Instead, you should drill through the upvc and into the metal frame and fix them to that.
So now I'm unsure about what to do. On the one hand, this guy could have been indulging in competitor bashing to get some trade. On the other hand, I know nothing about this, so I'm worried that he may have a point...
Has anyone fittend their own blinds - is screwing them into the frame acceptable? Is it an easy job (I'm ok but not great at diy).
Thanks in advance,
Tim

Have a google search for 'perfect fit' blinds - we had some fitted a few weeks ago but you can purchase them made to measure and fit them yourselves to save a few quid. They fit by means of a slim clip which sits between the glass and the rubber seal so can be removed leaving no trace at a later date. They are not the cheapest thing in the world but fit nicely and don't flap about.
Franko.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I'm with Hilary's on this one. I usually drill a 3mm pilot hole first and use ordinary size 6 screws about 5 mm long. A single skin of upvc is well able to support a blind

But if you ever want to change your blinds for another type, you'll then end up with holes in your upvc profiles which will not be covered by, or align with the fixings for the new blinds.
stuart noble wrote:

Thats what I've done in the past as well.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
On 2008-06-23 16:15:24 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com said:

It depends on the blinds.
If they are cheap, flimsy ones and the uPVC is reasonably thick, self tap screws into that may be enough. For more substantial blinds, and especially if they are going to be opened and closed a lot, a mor substantial fixing would make sense.
Since a hole is going to be drilled anyway, it makes sense to use a longer screw and be done with it.
Andy Hall wrote:

I suppose the 3mm length guarantees you won't hit any metal bits inside the profile. I just don't happen to have that size handy.

Now that you mention it, 3mm gauge screws seem pretty small as well unless the blinds were very light in weight.
Andy Hall wrote:

I don't think extra length would make any difference given the pvc is probably 2mm thick at most, but it's one hell of a fixing once the thread starts to bite