Fitting a TV mount to less-than-ideal wall

- show quoted text - My plastering is crap, so I wouldn't bother. Put neat radii on the corners, sand down well, paint to match the wall. You could make the panel the same size as the backplate in which case it will barely show. /q

How would that spread the load?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Agreed, it doesn't. But I have had cases (fitting radiators on stud walls) where the fixing screws had to be in between studs, but you could mount the plywood perfectly solidly and then put the radiator brackets on the plywood. I could imagine a case for a TV bracket where two of the four holes were insecure in dodgy mortar or edges of bricks, but you could still achieve a secure fitting for a same sized plywood panel.

Reply to
newshound

In message , Bill Wright writes

Yes, you wouldn't want the bracket to fail is some thieving pikey scumbag was doing us all a favour.

Reply to
News

When mounting a TV wall bracket on a large plywood backplate (to spread the load) put the fixing bolts for the wall bracket through the plywood from the back, so the threaded end is ready to receive the bracket when the plywood is mounted. Use large washers so the load of the bolts is spread. Tighten with pliers on the thread and then cut the excess thread off.

An aerosol of matt black can help. Spray your finger end, then dab paint on the nuts and bolt ends. Wipe your finger on the customer's white carpet. (Joke)

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Update...

I'm on the point of actioning this, and would really like a reality check p lease!

I ended up working out exactly where I wanted the TV bracket to go, and the n hacked off all the old plaster around there, exposing the brickwork benea th. This enabled me to fine-tune the position of the bracket to maximise t he number of holes in decent meaty brick; also, I was able to repair the cr appy mortar between all the bricks to make the wall considerably stronger, and finally replaced the plaster with a 2'x2' square of sand-cement render over the area. Since then my plasterer has been and skimmed the whole room - looks fab! - and I've calculated the exact postions of my mounting holes for the bracket and am ready to drill.

The plan is to use 7 x M6 studs (the largest that the bracket will accept), held in place with resin. I've bought this stuff from Toolstation: OK?:

I'll blow out all dust from the holes, which will be as deep as possible in this single-skin brick wall.

What diameter holes should I drill in the brickwork? Any more advice?

Thanks

Reply to
Lobster

Hi,

I cannot remember exactly - it was one of the Fischer Vinyesters. I have also user Screwfix Nononsense resin, like:

and that seemed OK too.

Beware - one or two of the Fischer cartridges are too fat (wide) for a standard sealant gun. Never had trouble with the Scewfix unbranded.

What is important is:

Drill a reasonable hole (8mm in your case should do, but you need to be able to get the injector right in to inject resin from the bottom of the hole out - if necessary, drill your bracket and use M8 with 10mm holes).

The other is to clear the hole of dust.

but a bit of earth sleeve or similar pipe taped onto a bike pump would do. Again you have to blow sharply from the base of the hole. Less dust, the better the resin will bond.

M8

Reply to
Tim Watts