Fireplace firebrick replacement.

I need to replace the firebricks in an old fireplace. The bricks are:

- 2 side pieces (cheeks).

- 1 lower back piece.

- 1 upper back piece (sloping).

The procedure seems fairly straightforward; I've already got the old firebricks out, but am wondering how to get the new ones in, as they should not have voids behind them, and some of the existing "stuff" has fallen out when the old ones were removed.

Should I scrape up some sand and lime mix before putting in the firebricks?

Edge sealing shouldn't be a problem - just point up with fire cement, and push in some fibreglass rope between the side cheeks and the brick front to make an expansion gap.

However, how do I get a reasonable fit behind the firebricks? Any ideas?

Reply to
Hothothotcoldlbrrrr

The important thing is to leaveroomfor expansion or they will crack. So a tight fit is not desireable.

Reply to
harryagain

The important thing is to leave room so they can expand. A tight fit is not desireable. Also, warm them up gently, the may be damp and thus again crack. All you need is some means of holding them in position, not tighty cemented in.

If you are talking about a complete fireplace, the tiled surround has to come out. There will be lugs areound the perimeter with screws holding it in postion, normally one on each side towards the top and one or two along the top edge. (Hidden under the plaster.) A bit of fibre glass loft insulation is good for making up voids.

Reply to
harryagain

I'm talking about a thing like this:

but with a plain '60s (very soft) brick facade with recessed pointing and a 4x1 3/8 oak mantlepiece. I am not at all sure that it comes off, and even if it did it would still be hard to get behind the firebrick.

It might be possible to scrape off a fair amount of the rather soft and damp substrate, then pour dry 1:4 mix down the back of the fitted firebricks, but it might be quite awkward.

Reply to
Hothothotcoldlbrrrr

Everything that goes on, comes off. (though maybe not without damage.) It might be a one off someone has constructed from bricks, in which case complete demolition may be the only answer. You might be able to break out the old fireclay components laeving the surround intact and build up a new fireplace using firebricks/fireclay but that needs skill and experience.

Maybe you need a complete new fireplace and surround.

Or these days, a multi fuel stove. With a glass front if you want to look at pretty flames. Could cost a couple of grand as the chimney would likely need lining. Not a job for over Christmas.

Reply to
harryagain

!

That's what I want to do, and have started to do, as in the OP! It's just a replacing the firebricks question, not a complete rebuild, and it's on for the weekend. Somehow.

Reply to
Hothothotcoldlbrrrr